hardness and PH getting totally out of hand!

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
ericbullock

hardness and PH getting totally out of hand!

Post by ericbullock »

OK...I really need to figure out what is going on in my tank. I've used an entire 5# cylinder of C02 in 2 months! Bear in mind this is a 32 gallon tank, which should have lasted closer to a year.:evil:

At first I suspected my tap water, which prompted me to buy a RO/DI system. When problems with hard water persisted I assumed my Seachem Onyx gravel was the culprit. After replacing that with Flourite (or as much as I could) I am still having hardness problems. My CO2 cylinder gave out today and when I came home the PH was around 7.9! Prior to this pleasant discovery CO2 was running nearly alll the time, at a rate of...actually the bubbles were moving too fast to count. But a lot!

So what in the HELL is buffering my water so much? This is really frustrating! Total hardness is around 11 degrees! I think I'm ready for an intervention...

-eric-
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Are you using a controller of some kind?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Do you have any rocks in the tank that might be leeching calcium or other minerals into the water?
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

krisw wrote:Do you have any rocks in the tank that might be leeching calcium or other minerals into the water?
Just slate...which doesn't appear to be calcerous. Something is leeching, so I suppose it might be the rocks. Based on what they appear to be composed of I would be surprised if it was the rocks.

Thanks,
-eb-
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

SCMurphy wrote:Are you using a controller of some kind?
Hi Sean - Yes, I'm using a controller. The PH electrode was just re-calibrated and tested. It is a Milwaulkee PH controller with solenoid.

-eric-
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Test the rocks, a few drops of Muriatic Acid on an freshly exposed area will let you know rather quickly. Better yet grind a little of the rock up first.
Nathan
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

What would I be looking for?
-eb-
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Foaming

Bubbling Rock = Bad Rock (in this case)
Nathan

Sponsors