Substrate Question

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Becca
GWAPA Member

Substrate Question

Post by Becca »

I need to get a 3-4" substrate bed in an old metaframe - external base dimensions are 60*18, internal are probably about 58*16.

I'd like to use, primarily, the Brightwell Aquatics substrate, which complicates calculations of just how much I'll need. For instance, the 15 lb bag I got for a 15 gallon tank was far more than I needed for a 15 gallon tank. Brightwell weighs less per volume than most other substrates.

If I knew how many cubic feet of substrate were in a bag, that would help, but I couldn't find that on any of the bags I have left from use in other tanks.

I don't think I'm going to need 100 lbs of the stuff, but I'm not sure how much I actually will need. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The project is a paludarium and the primary inhabitants will be a bunch of Raphael catfish that my husband has collected over time and a few other oddballs.

We're opting for this type of substrate because the cats can dig in it without damaging their bodies are barbels, but it should also support good plant growth. The plan is to mix in some flourite sand to give it a little extra weight, like what we've got in the 150.
seiji64

Re: Substrate Question

Post by seiji64 »

Hi Becca,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=28435
Dr Foster and Smith estimates 2.4 - 2.6 liters per 5 lbs of FlorinVolcanit substrate.

Their substrate formula:
"[(Aquarium Length x Width x Desired Substrate Depth) in inches] ÷ 60 = approximate Liters FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate required."

Doug
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: Substrate Question

Post by Becca »

seiji64 wrote:Hi Becca,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=28435
Dr Foster and Smith estimates 2.4 - 2.6 liters per 5 lbs of FlorinVolcanit substrate.

Their substrate formula:
"[(Aquarium Length x Width x Desired Substrate Depth) in inches] ÷ 60 = approximate Liters FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate required."

Doug
Thank you! I somehow missed that when I was reading through the info they have there.

Sponsors