Substrates

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
fjf888

Substrates

Post by fjf888 »

Hi everyone

Just getting back into planting and aquascaping again. Pesky life events got into the way of hobby before. Quick question about substrates. I noticed that ADA aquasoil is now $65 a 9l bag. I read a little background on another forums about ADG not carrying, etc. The local store around me carries Fluval Plant Stratum, which kind of looks like ADA aquasoil. It looks like I can get Fluval plant stratum a 16.7 pound bag for $43-46 or so.

Is ADA that much better than the Fluval? Are there any other aqua soil alternatives that others are using that work well. I had good luck with product from Mr. Aqua in the the past, but I can't find that around anywhere either.

Thanks
Fred
jweis

Re: Substrates

Post by jweis »

Well, when I used AquaSoil (AS), it grew plants great, but turned to mud quickly and everytime I moved a plant around the water got so cloudy it would kill the fish. :(

I use Fluval in a few small tanks and it doesn't grow plants as well as AS, but it does grow plants well enough. It is lighter than AS and it doesn't turn to mud. Also, it doesn't require a break in period before adding critters. I use it in my shrimp tanks. They sell two varieties which only differ in the size of the granuals. I use the small granuals.

There is a new product from Brightwell that is also supposed to be an alternative to AS. I haven't tried it yet, but reports from Ghanzafar are that it also doesn't release ammonia and it is also lighter than AS, but grows plants well. It comes in different colors. We just did a group buy for some of it.

Hope this helps.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
fjf888

Re: Substrates

Post by fjf888 »

Thanks. That does help. It seems the Brightwell might be the better option for growing plants. Its hard going back to eco or flourite after using AS.
Fred

Sponsors