Fertz - what and where to buy?

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
jweis

Fertz - what and where to buy?

Post by jweis »

I have a friend who is just getting started with a planted aquarium, and he is asking for advice on what fertz to buy and from where. I have been using the Pfertz line because it was EASY, but the company is sadly no longer in business due to the owner's serious illness.

So, I am looking for SPECIFIC recommendations. Websites with exact product recommendations would be GREAT.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Ben Belton

Re: Fertz - what and where to buy?

Post by Ben Belton »

Granted I'm not the most current person in the hobby, but I last bought from Green Leaf HERE. Easy to order. Showed up very professionally done. He has everything you want or need. Also there was a great thread on how to make your own Tropica Master Grow on planted tank and he participated some. Helped me with an idea on where to start with mixing my own. That thread is HERE. I'm sure there is more up to date information, but I'm old and out of touch.... no comments please :lol:
jweis

Post by jweis »

Ben Belton wrote:Granted I'm not the most current person in the hobby, but I last bought from Green Leaf HERE. Easy to order. Showed up very professionally done. He has everything you want or need. Also there was a great thread on how to make your own Tropica Master Grow on planted tank and he participated some. Helped me with an idea on where to start with mixing my own. That thread is HERE. I'm sure there is more up to date information, but I'm old and out of touch.... no comments please :lol:
Thanks Ben. I looked an GLA's website and they do have good info. What dosing method are you using? Perpetual Preservation System (PPS-Classic and PPS-Pro) or Estimative Index (EI) Fertilization Method?
Julie
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

I guess I was using Estimative Index. I learned this before Tom came up with that one. I was adding micros about 3 times a week and macros a couple times a week and adjusting. Mixing the micros this way was very economical.
jweis

Post by jweis »

Ben Belton wrote:I guess I was using Estimative Index. I learned this before Tom came up with that one. I was adding micros about 3 times a week and macros a couple times a week and adjusting. Mixing the micros this way was very economical.
OK, thanks for sharing.
Julie
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I've always been a fan of Seachem's line of commercial fertilizer products are what you are after. I know Cavan in particular has had a lot of success switching from dosing dry KNO3 to using Flourish Nitrogen for his nitrogen source.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I can vouch for both Seachem's Flourish and AquaVitro lines in combination with dry dosing, or using their whole line.
tug

Post by tug »

James' Planted Tank has some good reading w/ fert analyses - has a DIY Tropica + recipe, http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

I keep most of my doses in solution. I'm mixing some now. I would say to be aware, only so much salt can go into solution.
Fortunately, you need only a small amount.

A fun calculator for DIY and/or dosing AquaVitro or other commercial lines, http://rota.la is very handy.

So Ben and EI go way back. :wink:
I still take time and read early writings from off the Krib.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
jweis

Post by jweis »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Jim Miller, how do you dose? I know you tend to research everything throughly.
Cavan, same question for you. I'm intersted in what you are doing EXACTLY since you have had such success with fixing your algae issues.
Julie
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

tug wrote:So Ben and EI go way back. :wink:
I still take time and read early writings from off the Krib.
Don't remind me. :D

I remember a short period of time before there was a Ghazanfar and he is old and ancient.

Sponsors