Dosing traces in MTS tanks

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
andreyka

Dosing traces in MTS tanks

Post by andreyka »

Is it necessary to dose trace elements in a tank with mineralized topsoil (after some time since the initial setup passed)? What do you gurus think?
If yes, then what do you prefer: CSM+B or Florish Trace/Comprehensive? I believe, Aaron prefers Comprehensive, Kris - Flourish Trace(?)
They all have quite different composition:

Flourish Trace / Flourish Comprehensive / CSM+B (dissolved at recommended 80g/L)
B: 0.0028% / 0.009% / 0.094%
Co: 0.00003% / 0.0004% / -
Cu: 0.0032% / 0.0001% / 0.007%
Fe: - / 0.32% / 0.522%
Mg: - / 0.11% / 0.112%
Mn: 0.0085% / 0.0118% / 0.150%
Mo: 0.0003% / 0.0009% / 0.004%
Zn: 0.0169% / 0.0007% / 0.030%
Rh: 0.000008% / - / -
Ni: 0.000003% / - / -
V: 0.000002% / - / -

Note: I dose iron separately as ferrous glucanate, and magnesium comes with macros.

Or, should I just add some borax for Boron and don't bother with the rest? But then "...tap water usually contains 0.02-0.05 ppm of boron..." What other micro-nutrients our Montgomery county municipal water supplies in abundance (besides copper from pipes)? Do I need all the 'really trace' heavy metals like Rh, Ni, and V announced in Flourish Trace, but probably present in other two supplements as well?
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Dosing traces in MTS tanks

Post by krisw »

Andrey, actually I've used Flourish comprehensive for years, not Flourish Trace. For the past year, I've been using AquaVitro Envy however.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I don't use any micros in my mineralised tank except iron unless I notice any real deficiencies; maybe 2-3 times a year with Flourish. However, it is capped with Fluorite and I'm on well water, so I figure the water and feeding is providing the micros and the CEC of the substrate is binding them.

Cheers.
Jim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Jim, can you clarify what types of plants you're primarily feeding. I suspect it might be different for primary root feeders verses some stems. What do you think?
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

The tank right now is pretty sparcely planted with Anubias barteri 'nana', Crypt. x willisi 'lucens', Rotala sp. 'Bangladesh', Hygrophila sp. 'Bold', and Barclaya longifolia. The stems are a little thin and pale right now due to previous low light and sporadic DIY CO2.

Cheers.
Jim
andreyka

Post by andreyka »

DelawareJim wrote:I don't use any micros in my mineralised tank except iron unless I notice any real deficiencies; maybe 2-3 times a year with Flourish. However, it is capped with Fluorite and I'm on well water, so I figure the water and feeding is providing the micros and the CEC of the substrate is binding them.

Cheers.
Jim
Thank you, Jim! Which Flourish?
andreyka

Post by andreyka »

krisw wrote:Andrey, actually I've used Flourish comprehensive for years, not Flourish Trace. For the past year, I've been using AquaVitro Envy however.
Hm... does it mean that you do not dose any trace elements anymore? Here is AquaVitro Envy composition from Seachem site:

Minimum values, amounts per 1 gram
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 2.5 mg
Thiamine (B1) 20 µg
Riboflavin (B2) 20 µg
Niacin (B3) 120 µg
Choline (B4) 4 µg
Pantothenate (B5) 70 µg
Vitamin B 120.8 µg
Inositol 10 µg
Arginine 300 µg
Glutamate 600 µg
Lysine 300 µg
Tyrosine 190 µg
Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids 600 µg

No boron, manganese, etc. ...
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

andreyka wrote:
DelawareJim wrote:I don't use any micros in my mineralised tank except iron unless I notice any real deficiencies; maybe 2-3 times a year with Flourish. However, it is capped with Fluorite and I'm on well water, so I figure the water and feeding is providing the micros and the CEC of the substrate is binding them.

Cheers.
Jim
Thank you, Jim! Which Flourish?
Sorry Andrey. Comprehensive.

It has everything Trace has except Rubidium 0.000008%, Nickel 0.000003%, and Vanadium 0.000002%. I don't think my plants miss them.

Cheers.
Jim
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Dosing micros with a soil substrate won't hurt anything. You could use all three, Trace, Comprehensive and Envy alternately if you think none of them are complete enough. They are MICROS, you only need a little and you get a lot replenished just from water changes unless you are using RO/DI water.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
jweis

Post by jweis »

I use the Pfertz line.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.

Sponsors