Plant Deficiency Chart

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Judi

Re: Plant Deficiency Chart

Post by Judi »

Probably because I just can't leave well enough alone. :lol:

Seriously, though, if I can get the same results by dosing lesser quantities, or less frequently, it makes sense to me to do it that way. Seems less wasteful, and I can go longer without re-ordering ferts. I figure there's nothing wrong with using EI as a guide or starting point, and adjusting it from there. For instance, my 20 and 29 gallon are not very high light tanks, so I dose EI quantities twice a week, dosing micros and macros on the same day.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Agreed, that's my methodology too. Plus, if you like red plants, minimal fert levels can often elevate those. But, like Judi said, it's a matter of finding the balance between low and not enough. Having an arsenal of common plant deficiencies can at least let you know where to start when tweaking your dosing regimen.
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

This is really helpful for us nubs :)

As I'm tweaking with my ferts I have a better idea of what to look for.

I'd like to bring out the red in the Ludwigia Red, and Rotala. From what I understand, the factors are iron, light.
Is there anything else that brings out that color?
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Phosphate. Tip the N/P balance slightly toward more phosphate and the reds come out more.
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

Cristy Keister wrote:Phosphate. Tip the N/P balance slightly toward more phosphate and the reds come out more.
Sweet, thanks!

I'll try to work this into my PPS regimen
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
tug

Post by tug »

takadi wrote:A number of things, like being too generalized and formulaic, and it doesn't include CO2 as a factor...
Here is a link to a plant deficiency check list that includes CO2 and nutrient deficiencies along with their associated symptoms, as well as corrective measures to follow. Tom Bar still thinks it has problems but didn't hate it as much as the aforementioned chart. :wink:

http://infographics.myaquacalc.com/wp-c ... beled2.jpg

A calc that covers a large range of dosing methods and chemicals by wet that I also find very helpful is, http://rota.la
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Very nice chart, Mike! Funny, it's the first time I've seen it, even though my APC handle is listed as a source. The thing I like about this one is that it highlights the fact that if you're not injecting CO2 at the proper levels, you need to fix that first...
tug

Post by tug »

Small world, kris. Nicely done.
I have to try and remember Oxygen, is still critical to good tank management as well as CO2. :lol:
Last edited by tug on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Wait, someone thinks CO2 levels are the place to start? I feel like I have heard that before.

Also, CO2 injection does not affect O2 levels. Rotting organic matter impacts O2 levels.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

SCMurphy wrote:Wait, someone thinks CO2 levels are the place to start? I feel like I have heard that before.

Also, CO2 injection does not affect O2 levels. Rotting organic matter impacts O2 levels.

Haha Sean! I actually took your talk to heart. Upped the CO2 and added more lights, and guess what??? For the first time ever, I have a tank that is constantly pearling!!!

During the holidays, I plan on re-aquascaping my 75 g, and adding more lights (I have my first pressurized CO2 system on this tank, gasp!). I also have another CO2 system that I need to set up too and I'm trying to decide which tank that one is going on.

See what happens when I actually listen to the advice of the club???

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein

Sponsors