Flourite

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
rich_one

Flourite

Post by rich_one »

anyone know where I can get this stuff for a good deal, or do you have a recommendation for a different, enriched substrate? Dave has given me some great recommendations for inert substrates, but I also want to look at some enriched ones. I am still not sure if I want to use it for my new discus tank or not... but I am considering it. I am still on the fence with using something like this and planting it, or leaving it bare bottome, but tying plants to wood pieces and branches. Thanks, all!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Aquarium Depot has Flourite for 18.99 / bag. That's about the best deal you'll find when you factor in shipping costs for online stores. They even have the new Flourite Dark. They could probably order the Flourite Black or Black Sand.
rich_one

Post by rich_one »

I'll look up Flourite Dark and see what the deal is... I was looking at Flourite Black 7 on Big Al's... but AD would be better, like you say, due to shipping. thanks for the heads up!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, they'll order it for you. At least they should. :)
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

If you can wait a month or two I will be tearing my tank down for a move and will be getting rid of the flourite. I am thinking of setting it back up as a discus tank (planted, of course), but that wont be for a while. And I am looking at other types of substrates.

My tank is a 72 g, it has 4 or 5 bags worth in there. (maybe more, cant remember now)
"if music be the food of love; play on"
www.goodmusicproductions.com
rich_one

Post by rich_one »

man... that is a generous offer! so... does that mean flourite never loses it's nourishing properties? that was something I was wondering. also, if I may ask, why are you getting rid of it? just looking for a new look? hope you don't mind me asking... just trying to learn about as much about the stuff as possible, since this is my first foray into enriched substrates.

I appreciate the offer... that might work. I can have the tank running with rhizome based plants that do not need a substrate, while I am preparing to purchase the discus. so I expect it to be at least one month before the fish get in there... maybe two. cycling will not take long, between the live plants and my ability to use the rainbow tank to seed it. but with Valentines Day this weekend, my wife's birthday in two weeks, my birthday a month after that, and my son's birthday a week after mine... well... I'm sure you can see it may be early April before I actually order the fish! :roll:

Sponsors