Sean's Soil Substrate Recipe Documented

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Thanks Sean!
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

My Endlers tank is non-CO2, and all my rooted plants are showing better growth than in my 110 off CO2. The only stem experience I have in this tank is Rotala 'indica' which is doing great; but that plant would grow well in the car park so it doesn't really count.

Cheers.
Jim
halak

Post by halak »

What is the disadvantage of putting more clay or potash in the substrate? Too much iron fom the clay?
Viktor
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yes, I think at some point you have too much iron in the soil. I'm not sure if adding more potash would harm anything.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

The amount of clay was based on a description of wetland soils I read in college, small percentage of clay and no organic matter below the surface level. The reason for the clay started because of the booklet that came out prior to the "Optimum Aquarium" book where the authors first described laterite and the effects of iron on the crypts in the stream. I paired the idea that clay binds nutrients and clumps soil particles into a substrate that would remain below the decorative cap, fall out of the water column quickly when disturbed, and provide rooted plants with everything they need.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

More clay shouldn't be a problem and would most likely allow the tank to run longer without supplimental fertilization. Apparently, Sean's has run for several years now with no nutrient deficiencies developing.

As Sean said, the clay binds the nutrients (as positively charges cations) which makes them available to the plant roots. Clay also has the highest surface area of the various soil particles which allows it to hold the greatest amount of nutrients. Organic matter also has a high cation exchange capacity but not as much as clay.

The interchange between the cations on the surface of the clay particle and the cations in a solution is called cation exchange and is one of the measures of soil "health" The higher the cation exchange capacity, the "healthier" the soil because the more cation exchange can occur.

This is part of the reason we lime gardens and lawns.

Cheers.
Jim
Aaron

Update: 10/19/06

Post by Aaron »

Here's a shot of the tank from this morning 10/19/06:
Here it is again after two large water changes and a scrubbing of the front glass only. You can see that I've also added 8 furcatas rainbows as well.
Though I'm having quite the new tank algae breakout, I'm still optomistic. I haven't dosed a thing save for a little excel and the plant growth is very healthy underneath all of that algae. Just look at the color on the Rotala macrandra. The only plant not doing well is Utricularia graminifolia. I suspect that it has to do with the minerals in the substrate. This plant prefers an inert substrate, but I thought I'd try it anyhow.
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

I used to have the Furcatas Rainbows .. Makes me want more ..
"if music be the food of love; play on"
www.goodmusicproductions.com
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Look at that lush, GREEN, growth! Oh, that's algae? :mrgreen: I wouldn't worry... I seem to remember some of Sean's tanks looking quite cloudy after they were first setup, subsequently clearing and looking great. Heck, I even experienced my first green water ever after setting up the 75G with Soilmaster Select.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing anything special for the furcata rainbows such as adding salt, etc? I've talked with a few folks, but a number of them (including myself) had very little luck keeping these guys alive. I absolutely love their look though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No special care for the rainbows. I got them from Exotic Aquatics. They usually have healthy stock and their prices are best. There were 3 for $11.00.

Yeah, I'm not anxious about the algae. So long as the plants are growing too things will settle down. I'd only be upset if all of the plants melted. :D

Sponsors