ADA Amazonia Substrate

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Chris

ADA Amazonia Substrate

Post by Chris »

I think I read it's normal for this substrate to cause an ammonia spike, but for how long? And what should I do to help reduce this length of time?

The tank is a 12gal Nano Cube that has been cycling now for nearly a month with a handful of red ramshorn snails and anubias. I have tried water changes with established tanks, Amquel, and Cycle, but to no avail.

All suggestions are welcome, I have never set a tank up like this before nor have I ever used this substrste.

Thanks!

For those of you that care about the weather in AK the high was 0 today and we got 4 inches of snow last night!
Chris

Post by Chris »

So 46 people have viewed this post, and no one has an answer!?! (cricket sounds) :?:
We have some of the most renown people in the fish/plant hobby in this club, I know I haven't stumped you.
Throw me a bone I'm in the middle of nowhere and need some help. :?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Chris, for every Amazonia tank I've ever setup, a week's worth of water changes is about all you need. The reason for the high spike in the beginning is so that you can heavily plant you tank from the offset and jumpstart the plants. After the first few days, your plants should be uptaking most of what's being produced. The fact that you only have Anubias in there is probably why you're still reading ammonia levels. (What are the levels btw?)

I'd suggest throwing in some fast growers like a Myrio, Anacharis, Hygro polysperma, etc to soak up the excess nutrients and pull them out when it stabilizes... Continue doing your water changes too....
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

*** some red roots will likely do the trick** :mrgreen:
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks guys!! :D
How did I know Damian would recommed red root floaters? :lol: I actually threw some in last night along with some hornwort thinking that may help. 8)

Sponsors