pump

Why buy when you can DIY?
Archie

Post by Archie »

since there are sooo many inventive minds in this forum, can anyone reccommend a way to get water out of a tall holding container from the top? i can't raise the storage tank any higher, and my siphon stops 1/3 of the way down (only 1/3 of the water gets used). if i use longer tubing/hose, it curls up to the surface. I was using a cannister filter with the intake siliconed to a piece of 1/2" pvc which worked well for awhile and then one day the outflow hose somehow popped out of the barrel and added 40 gals to the floor. i was thinking about a powerhead, but the cord is too short and the outflow is an odd-shape. i think it's an aquaclear 301 powerhead for undergravel filters. i am hoping there is a simple solution to this that i just overlooked. any help is always appreciated. <edited><editID>Archie</editID><editDate>37967.9847337963</editDate></edited>
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Add a piece of hard pvc to the end of the siphon tubing that is in the tank. You can make it long enough to reach the bottom of the tank and it's weight will hold it down while you siphon out what you want.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

I dunno about DIY but a pond pump should work well.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

most of the powerheads on the market have no head pressure, meaing they can not pump water more than a few inches above the water line.

Some wet/dry type water pumps have charts that show the head pressure and flow relationship. The higher you pump the water the less flow you get.

Supreme Mag pumps are pretty good, but the cheapest is about $50.
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

I've used Aquaclear 402 & 802 powerheads to lift water from undertank sumps back to the display without problems. For real lift, I use the larger Eheim hobby pumps or the Mag drives Rick mentioned (cheaper than the Eheim Hobby pumps, but more likely to make a bit of noise).

Sponsors