My latest DIY: A Teaser Pic

Why buy when you can DIY?
Aaron

Re: My latest DIY: A Teaser Pic

Post by Aaron »

DonkeyFish wrote:Not to be "that guy" coming late to the party...but I just talked to my Aaron (have to specify) and he was saying how he wish he knew you were doing that because he has sources to buy pre-bent tubing at probably half the radius and then he could/would weld straight pipe to whatever length on either side. Or at least that was *his* take on a method :)
I'm still messing around with a method. I purchased some tubing and the bender was free to borrow. The one I used is a 1.5" center line radius. It would be nice to get a 1" center line radius if I can. I found one bender that can do 2D bends, but I talked to the guy at the place selling it and he thought the walls would cripple with such a tight radius. If you can purchase pre-bent tubing at half the radius, is it possible to purchase it with some length on either side so no welding is necessary? I did some googling for pre-bent stuff, but mostly found large diameters meant for exhaust pipes and such.

My understanding is that welding stainless isn't easy. My plan for the studs that will hold the suction cups was to use acid flux and silver solder seeing as I don't have a MIG or TIG welder and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

I tasked him with getting more details for us. :)

What you're looking for is what's called a mandrel bend, it keeps support on the walls of the tubing to keep from crushing. Different machine/method than the ambitious "hulkamania" angle.

For the welding, that's kinda what I was trying to say....*he* could do such things for you. Seeing as how that's what he does and all. And then you could say a NASA engineer helped *you* put together your fancy pipes. LOL.

Oh, and he also had some ideas for end caps he was researching for you.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

When is someone going to ask if Aaron can flare an end to make a lily pipe?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

SCMurphy wrote:When is someone going to ask if Aaron can flare an end to make a lily pipe?
I'm not sure I'd like that look. The lily part of the lily pipes is quite big and could detract from the look of the tank.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

OK then something squeezed down flat and parallel to the surface like I do with my sump returns.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

SCMurphy wrote:OK then something squeezed down flat and parallel to the surface like I do with my sump returns.
Like so?

That's what I was thinking.

Sponsors