Auto Water changes

Why buy when you can DIY?
jweis

Re: Auto Water changes

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:If your reservoir is limited in size to the amount you ever want to change then you don't need all the floats and stuff. Just drain the water below the level that you know won't overflow if the reservoir is emptied.

If you run the fill line from the reservoir to the tank separate from the filter return you won't need a check valve unless the fill line touches the water surface. If it touches the surface then when the pump is turned off it will siphon back to the reservoir until the water falls below the tube and breaks siphon.

Jim
Good point about the reservoir size negating the need for the floats. Do I have to worry about the pump running dry and burning out if I forget about it? Remember I have to rug-rats that frequently distract me?

My fill line does touch the water, so I think I should put in a check valve.

I think a 10 gallon container would serve my purposes. I need something with a top that can be removed to put in the pump, and something with a cover that attaches firmly so my kids don't come up with a great idea to put stuff in it. If they's have to unscrew a lid, or give it a really good tug, I think that would be deterrent enough for them. I just can't have it completely open. Any suggestion where I would find such a container?
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
jweis

Post by jweis »

Ok, here is the latest. I like that the design is getting simplier and simplier. Also, more fail-safe. :)
Attachments
DIY Draft Auto Water Change V4.jpg
DIY Draft Auto Water Change V4.jpg (139.31 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
Julie
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

jweis wrote: I think a 10 gallon container would serve my purposes. I need something with a top that can be removed to put in the pump, and something with a cover that attaches firmly so my kids don't come up with a great idea to put stuff in it. If they's have to unscrew a lid, or give it a really good tug, I think that would be deterrent enough for them. I just can't have it completely open. Any suggestion where I would find such a container?
Try US Plastics. If they don't have it, I don't believe it's made.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/defaul ... topnavmenu

Cheers.
Jim
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Julie, won't the eheim break siphon when the water drops to the level of the intake? If it will, wouldn't that make this whole process a PITA if you have to re-prime the eheim every time?
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

chris_todd wrote:Julie, won't the eheim break siphon when the water drops to the level of the intake? If it will, wouldn't that make this whole process a PITA if you have to re-prime the eheim every time?
My exact thoughts as well...
jweis

Post by jweis »

eleontie wrote:
chris_todd wrote:Julie, won't the eheim break siphon when the water drops to the level of the intake? If it will, wouldn't that make this whole process a PITA if you have to re-prime the eheim every time?
My exact thoughts as well...
You guys have a point. I remember Allen Woods at the October mtg up in PA had a similar problem, that he solved with a series of elbows. I can't remmber the purpose for each bend, but I just sent him a note. He wasn't using a canister though, so his soln might not work for me.

Of course, I could jsut add another line for the drain, but then I'd have to drill another hole in the shelf, which makes me a tad nervous since it is right behind the fish tank and it is a VERY tight space.
Julie
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Well, you might still be able to make it work. Does your Eheim have the quick-disconnect valves? If you put the Y-connectors in your diagram so that the Eheim quick disconnect valves were between the Y-connectors and the canister, then you just need to close the Eheim quick disconnect valves on the intake and outflow before you start draining (needless to say, you need to unplug the Eheim first).
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

jweis wrote: I remember Allen Woods at the October mtg up in PA had a similar problem, that he solved with a series of elbows. I can't remmber the purpose for each bend, but I just sent him a note. He wasn't using a canister though, so his soln might not work for me.
Ack! I had a picture of his contraption but I deleted it because it was a poor quality phone picture. I do remember it made a complete loop so it wouldn't break siphon.

Actually, I found a YouTube video of his room and shows his contraption and demonstrates his automated water change system.
http://tedsfishroom.com/2011/10/24/alle ... fish-room/

Cheers.
Jim
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I use the same kind of contraption. Works great, the siphon never broke in more than a year of usage. The only problem is you have to live with PVC pipes in your tank along with the filter pipes.
I do not see how you would combine it with the filter... Julie was trying to avoid drilling another hole for the discarded water, the overflow will not help with that.
jweis

Post by jweis »

First, thanks for all the inputs. It has helped me tweak the design a bit more.

I took a closer look a the existing hole in the shelf behind the fish tank, and I should be able to cram one 1/2" tube though it without anymore drilling of the shelf.

Then, after looking at loads of pvc overflow and drain u-tube videos and postings, I decided to buy an inexpensive, compact, premade gravity siphon draine (just $13.75 + S&H). The beauty of this is it will allow me to use one line to first drain, then move a valve and use the same tube to fill the tank back up.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so see below. I think this will accomplish my desire for a semi-automated water change method, with little chance for me to flood the house.
Attachments
DIY Draft Auto Water Change V5.jpg
DIY Draft Auto Water Change V5.jpg (150.14 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Julie

Sponsors