Planted Glass Boxes: hardscape only and planted aquaria

Why buy when you can DIY?
pleurothallid

Planted Glass Boxes: hardscape only and planted aquaria

Post by pleurothallid »

I started a blog a few weeks back to detail some of the projects I have done and am working on. The most recent edition features two aquaria, one a South American inspired Apistogramma aquarium and the other the planted 'high tech' aquarium I posted some photos of here some time ago. I thought they may be of some interest here.

http://plantedglassboxes.blogspot.com/2 ... -bare.html

The hardscape-only tank was a fun side project inspired by the huge ADG South American biotope tank I saw when I visited them in Houston. The background is made of dyed concrete patch kit over a carved spray foam layer. I can provide extra details if anyone is interested, though the blog entry also has more details.

I also have a facebook group for those who prefer to follow via that forum. I'll post updates for each blog entry. All posts include DIY info as well as the thoughts behind the techniques.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Planted- ... 7772900296
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

Nice blog. I like the Apisto tank a lot.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
pleurothallid

Post by pleurothallid »

Thank you very much for checking it out. I did my masters research around where Apistogramma baenschi was discovered, though unfortunately my focus wasn't around the fish. If it wasn't for me leaving in a few days I'd have the tank stocked. A good friend from the Aquarium of the Americas is watching my fish until my field season is over. I'll be sure to update you with photos when I'm back. It was a fun and cheap way to do a complete overhaul of an aquarium though. I enjoyed approaching an aquarium like a terrarium and I'd like to work with this style a bit more. With any luck I'll do a much larger one in the near future.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Your apisto layout makes the tank looks larger than it is--always a good thing. I might just shamelessly plagarize it for my brochis.

Keep us updated on how the concrete patch background holds up.

Blaise
Last edited by B Considine on Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pleurothallid

Post by pleurothallid »

I will definitely keep in touch. I used fairly thick layers on it and dabbed with my fingers when I applied the concrete. This both helped to push it in all the cracks and layers in the foam (that I made on purpose) and added an uneven texture. I was worried if the texture was too flat it would look more cheesy, so I tried to keep it uneven. I also sprayed some shapes on plastic bags with foam that I later put into fresh foam on the background to make the larger shapes-- instead of trying to layer it super thick. Again, a fair warning the pH was super high for the first few days, but then settled down to neutral. My other planted aquarium (with ADA aquasoil) is still lower in pH, but I'll be adding some things when I return to get it lower still. I think when I return I'll also be doing another similar aquarium for Poecilocharax weitzmani, I'll make a bunch of small holes in the concrete so the males can perform their paternal care.

Sponsors