DIY Cabinet and LED array for 57 gal rimless

Why buy when you can DIY?
sns26

DIY Cabinet and LED array for 57 gal rimless

Post by sns26 »

Hi all,

I don't know our policy about posting links to other fora. But I'll risk moderator sanction this time by posting this link to a post I just put up on plantedtank:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/1 ... c-57g.html

It has a bunch of info about the cabinet, plumbing, and LED array that I used. I'll be talking in more detail about the LED array at this month's meeting. I'm no expert, so if I can do it, so can you.
Attachments
DIY_overall1.jpg
DIY_overall1.jpg (216.03 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Really nice work. You might consider a piece of plywood on the top of the stand so the tank rests on a flat surface. I know my ADA 90-P recommends this as well as a thin rubber mat underneath to reduce vibrations.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

I thought about that, but after researching it, decided against it. This tank, like most standard pet store tanks and *unlike* ADA tanks, rests only on the bottom plastic frame--that is, only on its circumference. As I understand it, the bottom glass pane is supposed to flex down under load. This is why pet store cabinets universally support the tank only on the bottom rim.

Anyhow, the subframe on which the tank rests here is extremely flat--I made sure of that using a large jointer table as a reference surface.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

+++++

Wow that is incredible workmanship.
Even with the detail pictures from the Planted Tank post the only thing I would be able to create with those materials would be firewood.

Nice work and thanks for taking the time to post.
sns26

oh, you'd be surprised...

Post by sns26 »

It's not as hard as you might think. But it is about six times as time-consuming. Here's the overall finished piece. I have leak-tested all the plumbing and have had three bags of aquasoil sitting around for a month now...but can't seem to find the time or energy to actually get it going. It's currently sitting around dry.

...any offers?
Attachments
Finished LED fixture small.jpg
Finished LED fixture small.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
jweis

Post by jweis »

It its beautiful! I like the cover around the lights.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Beautiful. Have you thought about what you're doing for hardscape? all the craftsman like woodwork makes me think manzanita :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.

Sponsors