Diffusing Co2 from yeast systems

Why buy when you can DIY?
takadi

Diffusing Co2 from yeast systems

Post by takadi »

The pressure isn't high enough for glass diffusers. Do you guys use reactors or just regular airstones? I find reactors a pain unless you have a canister filter because then you have to buy a separate pump or powerhead for it to work. It does however do the best job and does not require any specific working pressure. Also, I'm assuming airstones would break down from the acidity of the co2 after a while
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

For the last couple of years I have been using ONLY the wood block airstones for my (pressurized) CO2 diffusion. The glass pieces were always a PITA to me, between the breaking and getting clogged up with algae all the time. The wood airstones (usually found in the saltwater section, usually brand name RedSea) are made for use in skimmers. What I love is that the bubbles are nice and fine, and if the plecos aren't chewing it clean all the time you can just sand it down to clean. Seriously couldn't be easier.

Might work out for you! At least worth a shot, right? I don't think I have any extras around, if I do come across one I will throw it in my bag for the meeting.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

I use one of the "ladders" from Hagen.

Blaise
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I use ladders like the Hagen/Nutrifin ladder.

Cheers.
Jim
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Precisely.

Blaise
takadi

Post by takadi »

Do those ladders actually work? I thought the purpose of those ladders was mainly for bubble counting
takadi

Post by takadi »

DonkeyFish wrote:For the last couple of years I have been using ONLY the wood block airstones for my (pressurized) CO2 diffusion. The glass pieces were always a PITA to me, between the breaking and getting clogged up with algae all the time. The wood airstones (usually found in the saltwater section, usually brand name RedSea) are made for use in skimmers. What I love is that the bubbles are nice and fine, and if the plecos aren't chewing it clean all the time you can just sand it down to clean. Seriously couldn't be easier.

Might work out for you! At least worth a shot, right? I don't think I have any extras around, if I do come across one I will throw it in my bag for the meeting.
Would yeast systems have high enough pressure to diffuse through the wood? I've thought about getting those but I was afraid that the gas would just end up getting stuck like it does for the glass diffuser
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

takadi wrote:Do those ladders actually work? I thought the purpose of those ladders was mainly for bubble counting
Yes, they work. I don't know how the measure up to other diffusers, but I've used one in a 29g and I had good results.
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Yes! I have a yeast system and use the wood diffusers and it works great!

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

DelawareJim wrote:I use ladders like the Hagen/Nutrifin ladder.
Cheers.
Jim
I second that. I have a couple spare. You can have one. That's how I got started in CO2.
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:

Sponsors