Dosing pumps

Why buy when you can DIY?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I never really thought about using an IV pump for fish tank ferts but it should definitely work as long as the ferts don't dry up in the tubing. In the hospital we normally hep lock pt's IVs when not in use for their mobility, so I don't have any experience with solution just sitting in the line. The slowest I usually run IVs is 5cc/hr, but then you'd really have to have a dilute soln. You could also try experimenting with a slower speed, that way there would be a continuous supply of ferts and the lines would never stay stagnant.

The only other issue I could see is the longevity of the tubing since IV tubing is generally completely changed out every 5 days or so to decrease line infection chances. Also make sure you get the right tubing for the individual machine, there may be a difference. This advice is just from overseeing what the nurses do, as a doc I place the orders and the nurses make it happen.

Are there any nurses out there that would care to chime in??

BTW if the price is right I'm in!
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

chris_todd wrote:
eleontie wrote:I am in for one - if not all are already spoken for. I want to set up auto water changes, have chloramine in the water, and and I am not so sure diluting the dechloraminator will work so well ...
Eugen,
I have seen reports of folks using diluted Prime to handle chloramine during automated water changes. For example:
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/s ... hlight=diy

Where Li from Monster Aquaria Network uses a Dosmatic MiniDos to automatically add prime to the water flow during a water change. I think this might be simpler and perhaps even cheaper than using a syringe pump.

When I build my fishroom, I plan to do something similar.

Chris
I'm using the Dosamtic in my fishroom. This weekend I start to setup the first rack using it for a constant water change system. Right now I use it connected to a hose to fill tanks after they are drained using a powerhead.

Michael
Member of GWAPA, CCA and PVAS plus American Begonia Society and Potomac Branch. Former PVAS President (twice) and Treasurer since 2015. Check out GoWildPeru on the web and FB for Peruvian Rain to Cloud Forest Tropical Fish and 'Plant' collecting trips.
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

These are going to be 80.00 about each if we buy 6 units, which we have. Thats an awesome price for the 4 unit pump. Now I need to find tubing. Its a case of 20 on ebay, which isnt enough for 6 units, we need at least 24, but I assume most would like to have a few spare as well?

They told me that they all work, and I can power them up when I pick them up. But they dont guarantee them or service the machine.
Jeff U.

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

$80 works for me for the pump. A few extra tubes would be good, especially if there's a question as to how long they'll last.

One question for the folks with experience here. I would presume that since these are used units that they have been cleaned, and that there's no residual risk of imparting medicines or other chemicals into our tanks that could impact the fauna, right?
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

krisw wrote:$80 works for me for the pump. A few extra tubes would be good, especially if there's a question as to how long they'll last.

One question for the folks with experience here. I would presume that since these are used units that they have been cleaned, and that there's no residual risk of imparting medicines or other chemicals into our tanks that could impact the fauna, right?
That is correct Kris. These machines are expected to be used on people or animals by vets, so they are G2G. The liquid never touches the machines. I'm getting ready to call the company and ask a few questions.
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Rico, as how much head pressure the can handle, the distance that it will pump up from being under the aquarium stand. I cant find that anywhere.
Jeff U.

ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Jeff120 wrote:Rico, as how much head pressure the can handle, the distance that it will pump up from being under the aquarium stand. I cant find that anywhere.
Just spoke a sales rep, Phil. He might be able to sell tubing for each machine. I asked about the best positiong. It's best if the pump is below the fluid source, because it also works with gravity. I think it should be able to handle pumping to a tank. Update: the 4 source pump:
http://www.ardusmedical.com/manuals/GEMINI-PC-4.pdf
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Everyone that said they wanted one should have received a pm, if you didnt get one let me know.
Jeff U.

Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

1 more available if anyone is interested, need payment by Monday.
Jeff U.

Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

Looks like you are going to need 10 to meet the demand. Might be the start of a new trend.

Sponsors