Dosing pumps

Why buy when you can DIY?
Jeff120
Site Admin

Dosing pumps

Post by Jeff120 »

I may have found a local source for used medical equipment. Ive been looking at dosing pumps. While the powerhead method has worked for a while Im looking for something that will do smaller more accurate doses. I found this unit.
http://www.usmed-equip.com/servlet/the- ... 2TX/Detail

You can get them with 1, 2, and 4 pumps. Seems like the price is anywhere from 40-100$ with the 4 pump being more expensive. You could do macros, micros, excel, plus whatever else with the 4 pump. Or is you have tanks close by, the 4 pump could run macros/micros to 2 tanks.

Would anyone else be interested in these? I found an auction on ebay 3 of the 4 unit pumps for 270. That would be 90 each if I can pick them up.
Jeff U.

scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Hey Jeff!

I'm interested in one of these! I just emailed my husband, just to make sure that would be okay to let me get one. Ya know, spouses and finances...LOL!

But go ahead and put me down for one. I'm sure it isn't going to be a problem, but I wanted to give him the heads-up first before just going out and getting one.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Ok Jeff. I just got the okay from my husband. The only stipulation that my husband asked for was to see if there was a DOA (ha!) guarantee on this, especially since it's used medical equipment. If there is a guarantee of a little more than 30 days, then we're golden.

Let me know.

Arlene
(whose husband is going to get brownie points for letting me have this) :P
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

I'm curious, Jeff--have you tried dilluting the ferts more before setting it up with the powerhead? I realize that infusion pump is still going to be much better, but after quite a bit of trial and error, we found there was lots of accuracy to be gained by dilluting more and timing the injection for longer durations.

That said, we're pretty sure dosing is getting thrown somewhat out of whack by evaporation. Even though we keep the fert containers loosely covered, they still evaporate--and I have no idea what components are transpiring faster than others.

Of course, if you could determine that, you could also set up subsidiary servos to replenish each of the component chemicals into your fertilizing solutions, so nothing ever got out of whack. Of course, that would require many more infusion pumps. :wink:

Though that seems somewhat frivolous at this point, I can see that kind of setup (at least functionally) being realistic in the future. It would be great--a system like this would allow fine tuning of chemicals (imagine just dialing up and down every component chemical at will)...
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Those are IMED pumps we used in hospital wards/surgery! LOL. Fish-ER? I'm interested. I have to read up on it a bit though.
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Mary, Im sure I could mess around, but if I can get these units for around 100.00 and dose 2 tanks, it not really worth my time.

Ill let you guys know what I hear back from them.

Arlene, these are tested and working, I dont think they offer any kind of warranty though. Ill ask.
Jeff U.

eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I am in for one - if not all are already spoken for. I want to set up auto water changes, have chloramine in the water, and and I am not so sure diluting the dechloraminator will work so well ...
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

It looks like the tubing is the tricky part to find.
So I know how many to get

Arlene-1
Eugene-1
Me-1
Rico-1
Kris-1

Anyone else interested?
Last edited by Jeff120 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff U.

ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Rico wants one! And I can get the tubing. Problem is that tubing is supposed to be disposable. Once I get it, I guess one can go to Lowes and buy their plasic tubing as a replacement. As far as warranty goes, most likely there would be a 1 year warranty, if used in accordance to its intended use , which is for clinical use only by trained personnel.
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I'm be interested too... Do these pumps have a reservoir for the liquid too, or do you need some special container to hold those? Or a drip bag? Or do you just run a hose into any bottle/container?

Sponsors