mineralizing soil question

Why buy when you can DIY?
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

mineralizing soil question

Post by ddavila06 »

hi guys, quick question, did i buy the wrong topsoil??? it was the cheapest they had but has some peat moss in it, which is no problem, i wanted to make my set up with peat at the very bottom to make the water more acidic.... in case i got the wrong one, would shoveling a little dirt from the garden help?
Attachments
the top soild
the top soild
mineralizing.JPG (127.01 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

I found Earthgro Topsoil at Wal-Mart for $1.38 a bag. I like the texture of it; I'm soaking some of it right now. I tried some other stuff I bought at the Home Depot and Lowes called Garden Pro Topsoil, it was real twiggy and had a mulch like consistancy. I dumped that stuff out in the yard. Brands like Scotts or Miracle Gro are more expensive and usually contain added nutrients.

As far as using ground dirt, I think as long as you go deep enough you may be okay. But I really don't know. Jim posted earlier about using subsoil. He seems to know more about about.
Joe
halak

Post by halak »

Check the ingredients to see if there is anything added.
Viktor
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

nothing as far as chemicals; it has manure, a few different mosses (peat, some spaghnum, ) i no longer have the bag but can check when i stop by the home depot, thanks
Damian Davila
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Damian,

You can use that soil, it is just going to take a little longer to mineralize. You do not add peat to a mineralized soil, you just went through all that trouble to get rid of the organics, you might as well put the soil into the tank without mineralizing it. You do not have to worry about the tank being acidic around here, especially with a soil substrate, even more so if you do CO2 injection.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

SCMurphy wrote:Damian,

You can use that soil, it is just going to take a little longer to mineralize. You do not add peat to a mineralized soil, you just went through all that trouble to get rid of the organics, you might as well put the soil into the tank without mineralizing it. You do not have to worry about the tank being acidic around here, especially with a soil substrate, even more so if you do CO2 injection.
uhmmm, my water is very hard...about 7.6-8...also, there will be no co2 and little light, this will pretty much be a natural tank, i didn't add the peat, is listed in the ingredients of the soil thats why i was wondering if it waswrong. i guess i could put it into the tank without mineralizing, right :idea:
Damian Davila
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

How much of that hardness is Ca and Mg? How much is carbonate? Are you going to have wood in the tank?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

SCMurphy wrote:How much of that hardness is Ca and Mg? How much is carbonate? Are you going to have wood in the tank?
don't know, don't know and yes! i know im using wood, i don't measure anything but ph and ammonia ocacionally... sorry :(

i don't want to make it too complicated, but read online (apc) that a guy used a topsoild that had no soil whatsoever and was all manure, and other things...just keep it simple guys :wink:
Damian Davila
Ltrepeter2000

Re: mineralizing soil question

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

Damian

He made the comment about not wanting to add peat because this is what you said in your initial statement....

[quote="ddavila06"]which is no problem, i wanted to make my set up with peat at the very bottom to make the water more acidic.... quote]

Peat is one of the organics that this process is supposed to neautralize to help prevent algae growth. He was trying to point out that you do not want to add peat to the bottom of your setup with this substrate.

Thanks
Rob
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

ah ok! i got confused!!!
Damian Davila