Making light stands

Why buy when you can DIY?
Cristy Keister

Making light stands

Post by Cristy Keister »

I'm making a couple of light stands similar to the ones Aaron demonstrated at a meeting a couple of years ago. http://gwapa.org/wordpress/2007/07/july-2007-meeting/ Only I'm using copper pipe and elbows so that I don't have to bend the pipe.

I bought 20 ft of copper pipe then found out that there was already 30 ft in the garage. :roll: So before I return the 20ft to Home Depot, I thought I'd see if anyone is interested in them. I already searched out most of the parts I need to put it together (forgot one clamp :x ), so it wouldn't be hard to find the same stuff again if you're interested in taking on this project.

20ft copper pipe = $16.30

My whole project is about $30, but there's enough material to make a stand for a large aquarium and a small one.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Cristy;

Depending on the weight of the light fixture, you may find the horizontal part the light is attached to may sag and not look right...like it's about to fall in.

That's one of the advantages of bending the pipe. it has a little spring to it and any sagging won't be noticed.

Cheers.
Jim
ingg

Post by ingg »

Conduit should also be a lot siffer than copper tubing.
Dave
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I already cut and drilled the pipe so as soon as I get that clamp it'll all be done. The horizontal part is only 6", so there's not a lot of sagging that can happen there. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

After a few mistakes, I finally finished the stands and I think they look great! 8) I'm not having a problem with the copper sagging, although these are not wide tanks - 55g and 2.5g. I think the copper looks especially good with the light oak stand on the 55g.

My only concern now is how long it will take to tarnish and will I like the look when it does. It's not hard to remove the tarnish, but I don't want to have to polish it too often. :? If it's too much of a pain I guess I can always paint it.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

That's great Cristy! You'll have to post pictures when you get the chance. :-)
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Who knows? The aged patina of the copper might look great.

Blaise
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

They do make products that supposedly prevent oxidation (tarnishing). Essentially its a clear lacquer.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

PaulS wrote:They do make products that supposedly prevent oxidation (tarnishing). Essentially its a clear lacquer.
Hey, I thought there must be something like that. I'll have to look for it.

Sponsors