Background

Why buy when you can DIY?
jcali10

Background

Post by jcali10 »

I never painted the back of an aquarium before, but I image you just clean it real good, with windex or rubbing alcohol, to remove any dirt so the paint adheres.

Staples has foam boards, but they were a like $13.00 + tax, so I figured painting would be the way to go.

I was thinking black or maybe a deep royal blue.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on background painting?

Thanks,
Joe
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

I have a side business doing vinyl graphics for cars and such, the material is awesome for the background of a tank. We can get just about any color (included frosted like the dreamy new ADA tanks). It's simple to apply, and will peel back off should you choose to remove it. Totally water proof and durable. I've got it on some of my tanks, those I could reach and didn't have to tear down to get to the backs of :)

I'd be more than happy to get some for ya, at my cost (which is cheap) if you want, just give me dimensions! Heck, if you wanted to get fancy we could even do some graphic background (GWAPA logo anyone?) or camouflage, or hollographic swirlys... sky's the limit.

I personally have used black and frosted.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
halak

Post by halak »

I always spray paint the backs of my tanks black.
Viktor
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

DonkeyFish wrote:I have a side business doing vinyl graphics for cars and such, the material is awesome for the background of a tank. We can get just about any color (included frosted like the dreamy new ADA tanks). It's simple to apply, and will peel back off should you choose to remove it. Totally water proof and durable. I've got it on some of my tanks, those I could reach and didn't have to tear down to get to the backs of :)

I'd be more than happy to get some for ya, at my cost (which is cheap) if you want, just give me dimensions! Heck, if you wanted to get fancy we could even do some graphic background (GWAPA logo anyone?) or camouflage, or hollographic swirlys... sky's the limit.

I personally have used black and frosted.
I used a vinyl background that is like a giant model decal (probably the same as above), it's great stuff and I used it on all my tanks except the 110. Just clean and wet the back if the tank, slip on the transfer, work out any bubbles, and trim the edges. It took longer to clean the class than it did to apply the background.

Cheers.
Jim
jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

DonkeyFish, that vinyl stuff sounds awesome. I will have to get you some dimensions, I want to check out an ADA site so I can see their frosted look, but I will most likely just want black.

For right now I would like a piece for a 29 and a 75. The 29 I already have, the 75 is my next tank. Heck, maybe even some for my nano and a 10 gallon.

Maybe if we both make the next meeting, this could really happen. :D
Joe
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I have a 55g (48.25 x 21 ) tank that I wanted to turn it's back black, but since I can not move it I can not paint it. The vinyl sounds easy enough and less permanent.
Jen , if it is not too much effort, I will subscribe to Joe's initiative.

Eugen
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Guess I should make a more prominent offer to everyone!

All I need to know is dimensions (I will cut a little larger than the tank so you'll have room to play if it gets a little crooked you won't have a gap along the edge, you can just trim down the sides) and color. I can even bring some to do a demo at the next meeting if anyone needs to know the oh-so-technical method of application (a monkey could do it, but there are a couple of tips to make it go easier).

And yes, this is the same stuff Jim is talking about. It's got 1,000,000 uses :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

sounds nice, i might be interested too, when i get the next tank though...you guys have fun with it! i will hopefully get a good luck at the stuff if it makes it to the next meeting :D
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
ingg

Post by ingg »

Jen, I'd love to see this stuff. Some things monkeys can do I find myself incapable of ;), so can you bring a swatch/sample to Rick's this month?

I've been getting felt, which hates to stay taped. (Do like felt otherwise, the flat black is nice!)
Dave
jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

If I can get a piece that is 30" x 16 1/4", in black for my 29g that would be great. I'm just gonna do one tank for now, and any tips you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Sponsors