ambitious DIY aquarium controller

Why buy when you can DIY?
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

The computer does not necessarily needs to be next to the aquarium, but considering running all the cables all over the place, it is probably best if it is somewhere close to the aquarium.

My choices on choosing the components were driven by the price mainly. I ended up spending about 100$ on various components not counting the old laptop which just laid around. Considering I had to go through some try and error phases, this is not that bad.
RS232 (serial port) as a communication interface is much cheaper than USB and the selection of devices is much better, but I chose USB for convenience and because none of the new laptops even have a serial interface anymore.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

Where did you get the parts? SmartHomes has a lot of X-10 components that could be used in an aquarium control system.

Rick
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I am not very familiar with the X-10 products, but they seemed quite expensive when I looked.
I chose this product : http://www.canakit.com/4-port-usb-relay-controller.html, but it was not the best decision as the relays are not opto-isolated. I had to do a few tricks and enhancements to get it to drive motors ( the motors cause electro magnetic interference that disconnects the USB port from the computer ). I learned quite a lot, and if anyone is interested I will be more than happy to help build the next generation.

Eugen
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

Eugen mentioned using an air pump for his dosing. Here's a nicely done DIY video for one from 3reef.com's recent video contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBCv0GmwQWk

Doug
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

My method is very similar. I use an Azoo 2500 air pump. My flow rate is much bigger than what is shown on that video. When the bottle is full (a 2 liter soda bottle) it takes 15 seconds to get 100ml of dosing liquid into the tank. When the bottle is almost empty it takes about 35 seconds for the same quantity. ( I can choose that precise time and can schedule it on days ).

I will try some flow valve to see if I can get the same kind of flow control. It probably depends a lot on the pump. Small precise dosing is better for things that do not do so well dissolved in water - like Excel or Dechlorinator.

Eugen
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

Good Work. It sounds like you put together a nice system.

eleontie wrote:I chose this product : http://www.canakit.com/4-port-usb-relay-controller.html
I have used Canakits before. Good instruction and parts.

The link did not work. I have used a leak switch from them. It worked fine but manufactured units were available and were not that expensive.
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I am sure there are many ways of accomplishing the same thing, I just wanted to post an update on my progress. If you want to consider doing this for your tanks, I will gladly assist or provide guidance.

So far I have :
automatic water changes for my 2 55 gallon tanks
dosing fertilizers
checking temperature

Obs : I will probably eliminate the need for the IMED dosing pump for the dechlorinator, but for now since I already have that it was just more convenient for me.

Last edited by eleontie on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

This is incredible Eugen! With this automation are you doing water changes more frequently in smaller quantities? Besides the ultimate in convenience and coolness, have you seen big benefits from your system? I imagine vacations are not an issue now, which would be pretty amazing.
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

I decided to go with twice a day 5 gallon water changes, considering there are 2 tanks, I have daily 5 gallon changes for each tank.

As can be seen in the picture the fresh water goes into a holding tank first, gets mixed with dechlorinator and warms up for half a day. This way there is hopefully minimal stress to the fish ( no chloramine in the tank and no temperature shock)

Both plants and fish seem to enjoy the regular water changes and fertilizing and I enjoy not having to bother with that every week ( manually I only did 10 - 15 gallon water changes for each tank). And ... more time to trim plants.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Your two 55G tanks are in your living room, right? Where did you extend your drain/water source from, and where is that holding tank located -- under the sink in the kitchen? I totally should have extended water lines/drains into my fish room before we finished the bathroom next door in the basement!

Sponsors