ambitious DIY aquarium controller

Why buy when you can DIY?
eleontie

ambitious DIY aquarium controller

Post by eleontie »

I have a long term project in mind. A controller/mini computer for aquariums. I know very expensive ones already exist somewhere ... but I would like to try building one from scratch.
Anyone knows where can I find electronic probes for measuring water parameters ?
- temp should be easy
- pH exist out-there , price is typically high
- Nitrogen products - I do not know if such probes even exist.
any other you might think useful.

I can find/build the rest of electronic parts , but the probes are what the connection to the aquariums really is and not too popular in any electronic catalog.

Eugen
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Have you tried a Hydroponics store? They seem to have a number of things like this, although, I haven't any experience with them myself.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Check with the companies like Hach or Milwalkee that already make this type of equipment. They usually sell replacement probes.

Cheers.
Jim
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

most of the probes have a limited lifespan due to them getting out of alignment.

Most come with small packets that you use to recalibrate the probes.

I know Milwaukee has one (you can buy it with their controller), a Nitrogen probe is probably extremely expensive though as I have not seen one around so far.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

You can start with:

http://www.sciencecentral.com/category/288324

But brace yourself for sticker shock....
Where's the fish? Neptune
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I have tried this route before and gave in and bought a controller from Neptune for $225. Yes it was expensive, but I have it doing water changes everyday, controlling temperatue & lights and monitoring pH. To not have to drag the hose up the stairs was worth the cost and when the power goes out I don't have to reset my timers. $225 does not include the pH probe.

PM to arrange a call to discuss what you are trying to accomplish. I might be able to help. But I agree with Robert that even if you build it yourself it is not going to be cheap.

Rick
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

Thanks guys,
I would like to do this for ... fun mostly. I would presume that there should be some cheap probes out there - just where ... still needs to be found :)

Maybe we will get a chance to meet and discuss. I am not in a hurry anyways. Plants and fish grow without fancy computers for now.

Eugen
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

Rick Dotson wrote:I have tried this route before and gave in and bought a controller from Neptune for $225. Yes it was expensive, but I have it doing water changes everyday, controlling temperatue & lights and monitoring pH. To not have to drag the hose up the stairs was worth the cost and when the power goes out I don't have to reset my timers. $225 does not include the pH probe.

PM to arrange a call to discuss what you are trying to accomplish. I might be able to help. But I agree with Robert that even if you build it yourself it is not going to be cheap.

Rick
Rick I plan on probably getting a neptune and incorporating it into the plan for my condo automation possibly, ok off to my thread to stop hijacking this one.
The other Jeff

ingg

Post by ingg »

$175, monitors PH, temp, and controls pumps too...

http://www.neptunesys.com/aquaControllerJr.htm

Never knew these existed. I missed the part on your tank Rick, how are you using this for water changes?
Dave
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

Curse you dave, I was just about to link that.
The other Jeff

Sponsors