Filter Sponges Close to Dryer Vent smells like Detergent

Lighting, filtration etc
Allen

Filter Sponges Close to Dryer Vent smells like Detergent

Post by Allen »

I left some filter foam in my garage and they now smell like laundry, I assume it's because they were too close to the dryer vent and absorbed the odors. Are these sponges safe to use now?

I also notice that one of my foam pieces is not completely reticulated and is shedding plastic "windows" constantly. Any tips with this or is this piece a lost cause?
JLW

Re: Filter Sponges Close to Dryer Vent smells like Detergent

Post by JLW »

I wouldn't chance it. If you can smell it, they're going to shed stuff into the water. Whether it's harmless or not, who knows? How much are sponges, and how much are your fish worth? :)
><>
Allen

Re: Filter Sponges Close to Dryer Vent smells like Detergent

Post by Allen »

I gave up on most of the foam but I have been soaking a Swiss tropical filter in vinegar and some other small pieces of foam in baking soda paste. The both methods seem to have succeed in removing a substantial portion of the smell but there might be some smell left over as the smell of vinegar or chlorine from the tap water might be masking what is left.

The lingering of the vinegar smell suggests that it might not be too hard to rinse off the smell but that filter foam is not easy to clean.

Sponsors