BBQ Lava Rock, Super Glue for Aquascaping

Lighting, filtration etc
PaulS

BBQ Lava Rock, Super Glue for Aquascaping

Post by PaulS »

I'm curious to know if anyone has used the bagged BBQ lava rock from home improvement centers in their tank? I was thinking about using a few pieces in my 5.5g nano. Also, I've read that Super Glue gel is a good way for attaching plants to rocks and wood. Has anyone tried it? Is there another glue that's better?
JLW

Re: BBQ Lava Rock, Super Glue for Aquascaping

Post by JLW »

You do have to be careful that what you're getting is lava rock, and not briquettes, anything that's treated with lighting agents, etc.

I use superglue to attach plants from time to time. The spot that you attach to often dies, but it takes a long while to break down, and by then the plant is firmly attached and rooted (generally). I've glue anubias, java fern, bolbitis, and more.
><>
halak

Post by halak »

Use the gel form of super glue; it's easier to work with.
Viktor
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Not sure if BBQ lava rock is something different but the home centers usually have bagged lava rock with the landscaping stones. Black is usually more expensive than red for some odd reason but both are just lava rock and I've used the in tanks and ponds for years. Ditto on the gel superglue
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Thank you for the replies. I'm was planning on using this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Fi ... 078190-_-N.

Another somewhat unrelated question... Does the club use or recommend a good online source for purchasing plants? I found the plants I want for my new tank from a seller on eBay, Aquarium Plants Factory (plantsfactory). They are little pricey but have many positive reviews.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

PaulS wrote:Thank you for the replies. I'm was planning on using this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Fi ... 078190-_-N.

Another somewhat unrelated question... Does the club use or recommend a good online source for purchasing plants? I found the plants I want for my new tank from a seller on eBay, Aquarium Plants Factory (plantsfactory). They are little pricey but have many positive reviews.
Maybe you can get your plants at the all day auction for the Catfish Convention on Oct 7 (Sunday)?
http://www.catfishcon.com/Program/Schedule-at-A-Glance
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

This is the red version of what I've used. Yours look like plain lava rock as well but there are much cheaper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-0-5- ... /100427379

As noted black always seems to be a couple bucks extra per bag.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

It’s been several years since I’ve attended the Catfish Convention. The auction is a lot of fun. Unfortunately previous commitments. After thinking about it, I’ve decided to buy the plants on eBay. It’s convenient and I can get exactly what I want in the right quantities.

In regards to the lava rock, I’ve found reviews where people have used it for fishtanks... heat them in a foil pan on the grill and get them hot enough to kill off any bacteria. After they cool, rinse thoroughly in cold water.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I got this lava rock from Lowes today. Unfortunately, the landscape lava rock was only in red. This stuff is a mix of orange, gray, and black. I prefer the darker rocks and the smaller size better scales to my 5.5g.

Also, what is the technique for gluing Java Moss to lava rock or manzanita wood?
lavarockglue.JPG

Sponsors