Glass cap for tank?

Lighting, filtration etc
Becca
GWAPA Member

Glass cap for tank?

Post by Becca »

My husband has recently undertaken a 60*18*20H paludarium. Finding lighting was a little difficult, and he chose the 48" Current Satellite Pro. It seems he built his platform a little high and the light is VERY close to the land mass (photo attached).

The tank is an old metaframe, so there's no ledge or lip to secure lids (or center brace, though we could change that). We'd really like to do something that will keep the tank humid while allowing the plants to grow above the top of the tank. It would be great if we could do something like a glass "box" on top of the tank that would hold the light a bit higher and let us look at plant growth while keeping the air in the tank humid and stemming evaporation a bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I had looked at acrylic greenhouse domes, but finding one in an appropriate side is kind of tough.

Of course, we're also on a budget, which complicates matters.
Attachments
Photo
Photo
11091328_10100971689084233_2941216255997834827_n.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Glass cap for tank?

Post by krisw »

The glass box idea is a neat one. I'd think you could build one out of glass or acrylic and put it together with silicon. I imagine the glass would wear better long term, but would be more expensive.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

krisw wrote:The glass box idea is a neat one. I'd think you could build one out of glass or acrylic and put it together with silicon. I imagine the glass would wear better long term, but would be more expensive.
Yeah, I think glass will be more durable, assuming I don't break it.

I was actually looking up some "cold frame" plans. This would potentially be very similar, but without the angled lid. It might be possible to find glass at a Habitat restore, but I don't know much about glass, which can be cut, how to cut it, etc. I just know you can usually find old windows cheap there.
tug

Post by tug »

One of those cold frame diy's using old windows would be fantastic, if that's what you're thinking.
It should look very cool. You need an interesting way to frame it to open - a window that size would be unique.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

tug wrote:One of those cold frame diy's using old windows would be fantastic, if that's what you're thinking.
It should look very cool. You need an interesting way to frame it to open - a window that size would be unique.
Yeah, it would look really cool, if I can find stuff to do it with. Of course, I'm not terribly skilled when it comes to building things, but I am horrifically skilled when it comes to breaking them!
tug

Post by tug »

Houses use to have transoms above the interior doors. Something like that often measures, 12" x 29" framed.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
JLW

Post by JLW »

You guys have seen my half-ten gallon that sits on top of my terrarium? Building something like that wouldn't be too terribly difficult. You would start by building a frame box that would sit over the tank out of 1" by 1", with a hinged "door" on the front (or the top). Then mount acrylic into it. You could use multiple pieces for the top, and acrylic isn't that expensive; you can also cut it at home with a saw.
><>
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

JLW wrote:You guys have seen my half-ten gallon that sits on top of my terrarium? Building something like that wouldn't be too terribly difficult. You would start by building a frame box that would sit over the tank out of 1" by 1", with a hinged "door" on the front (or the top). Then mount acrylic into it. You could use multiple pieces for the top, and acrylic isn't that expensive; you can also cut it at home with a saw.
I have seen it and it's actually what I had in mind as soon as I saw our tank filled. We've looked at acrylic sheets at Home Depot but the only ones we can find in a size large enough are smoke-colored and about $100 for the sheet. I priced some out the other day and couldn't come up with a way to do it for less than $150, but considering alternatives, it may still be cheaper.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

You can get 1/4" sheets at HD for $20. It's easy to bond them together with Weld-on 4.

Sponsors