Buildmyled.com

Lighting, filtration etc
Aaron

Buildmyled.com

Post by Aaron »

Seems like another nice LED solution is hitting the market.
http://www.buildmyled.com/
150EH

Re: Buildmyled.com

Post by 150EH »

I didn't see what I would consider a good spectrum range but I did only take a brief look, but it's a super idea!
Sincerely,
Tim
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

150EH wrote:I didn't see what I would consider a good spectrum range but I did only take a brief look, but it's a super idea!
? You can build any spectrum you want.
jweis

Post by jweis »

I contacted this company since I need to replace my light on my 37g and they have been very responsive (they emailed me back at 11pm at night). In addition to the fixture lengths they have posted on their website, they have also just started making a 30" fixture, which is great for me since I've always had to use 24" bulbs and just be disappointed that the edges of my 30" wide aquarium were not getting as much light.

The price is $194 for a 30" fixture, and includes waterproof LED fixture/power supply/8' cord/plug/mounting brackets/3 yr warranty. You can also purchase a separate Manual Dimming Kit for $39.99, but it is not necessary. These prices are very competitive and the reviews are these fixtures are well built and not flimsy.

As Aaron mention you can configure the LEDs anyway you want, and they have a handy calculator that shows what different combos do for the light spectrum. They also have two preconfigured light fixtures for freshwater aquariums. The "Freshwater Show Tank" has a Color Temperature (CCT): 12900K. My preference is the "Freshwater Planted Tank" Color Temperature (CCT): 8500K, which offers a little bit more of a pink vs stark white look. Their fixtures also come in several different Beam Angles (Narrow - 30 Degree, Narrow/Med - 45 Degree, Medium - 60 Degree, Med/Wide - 75 Degree, Wide - 90 Degree). They are in the process of helping me determing which angles I need for the two 30" fixtures I plan to purchase. I've sent them measurement and pictures and they will then provide a recommendation.

I"ll let you know more when I get the fixtures in, but so far I am very impressed with their customer service. I think anyone who is looking at new LEDs should check them out. Thanks Aaron, for posting their info on the GWAPA forum.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sure thing Julie. I don't have one yet myself, but everything I've read about their customer service and products makes me want one eventually. It's nice to know they'll have a 30" fixture too.

I would get the dimmer if I were you. Picking the beam angles depends on the height of the fixture above the tank as you likely already know. So if it's too bright, raising the light to lower intensity will mess with the light spread at the same time.
jweis

Post by jweis »

Aaron wrote:Sure thing Julie. I don't have one yet myself, but everything I've read about their customer service and products makes me want one eventually. It's nice to know they'll have a 30" fixture too.

I would get the dimmer if I were you. Picking the beam angles depends on the height of the fixture above the tank as you likely already know. So if it's too bright, raising the light to lower intensity will mess with the light spread at the same time.
That is something to think about. What's another $40, when I'll already be spending close to $400. :!:

The rep asked me all kinds of questions regarding fixture placement, so hopefully they will help figure out the right angle, because I have no idea what would be best.
Julie
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Let me know when you decide to put in an order. I'm looking at a custom red/blue configuration to replace my T12 florescent seed starter light and I'd like to jump in if possible.

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

DelawareJim wrote:Let me know when you decide to put in an order. I'm looking at a custom red/blue configuration to replace my T12 florescent seed starter light and I'd like to jump in if possible.

Cheers.
Jim
I plan to place an order this week for 2 30" fixtures.
Julie
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

jweis wrote:
DelawareJim wrote:Let me know when you decide to put in an order. I'm looking at a custom red/blue configuration to replace my T12 florescent seed starter light and I'd like to jump in if possible.

Cheers.
Jim
I plan to place an order this week for 2 30" fixtures.
Count me out then. I don't want to hold you up. My order will also be an unusual custom order and if I transferred the specs to you to order and they didn't get it quite right, I wouldn't want you caught in the middle somehow.

Cheers.
Jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Just had a great chat with the owner of the company. His background is in horticulture where he worked for the country's largest horticultural lighting company developing lighting systems for some huge names in the horticultural trade and he decided to go off and start his own company. He definitely knows what he's talking about. I'm looking at some non-aquatic/emersed uses so we had a great converastion about some of the latest research done.

All that said, he asked for foot print, height above the leaf canopy the non-aquatic fixtures would be, amount and type of material between the emitters and the plants, such as glass canopies, etc, and will develop a lighting system for that set up.

I'm pretty stoked.

Cheers.
Jim

Sponsors