Buildmyled.com

Lighting, filtration etc
Jim Miller

Re: Buildmyled.com

Post by Jim Miller »

Well if weight is an issue you might be better with trying some incandescent and a bit of gels. The plants are happy so it really is a Julie perception thing. You could even try some red leds. The incandescent wouldn't weigh much since it doesn't need a ballast. But it would be sorta spotty since it's small. You might even find some undercounter lights that would work. Unfortunately all of this stuff needs to be waterproof to be safe. The LEDs might work. Is it Red or Yellow you want added? That might help define the proper source.

Of course calling up the company and indicating the spectrum you're looking for might be best. I'm sure you're not the only person in the world who would be interested in the spectrum produced by the combination of those two bulbs. Seems a lot of folk mention those together.

I would guess that if he had the bulbs and a fixture he's got the equipment to measure the spectrum. Then it's just a matter of how close the match needs to be.

jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Let me first say, I have never had such exceptional service from a company. :!: This is the reply I received from Buildmyled.com:
Hi Julie. I’m sorry you did not like the color. You are the first person who didn’t like the Planted Tank spectrum, but I know color is a subjective topic. I want you to love everything about the lights, so I have a recommendation. If you tell me exactly what bulbs you were using, I will buy them and try to recreate this spectrum with a custom LED spectrum and then I will send them to you to try. If you like them, just send back the original fixtures. If you don’t like them, send back both for a full refund. Let me know if this works for you. If not, you can send these lights back for a full refund.

Talk soon,
Nick
I like the company before, but now I am beyond impressed. :D
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

WOW!

jim
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

I'm totally impressed!

I prefer that combo as well. If they can match it I will have to get one myself.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
jweis

Post by jweis »

FrannyB wrote:I'm totally impressed!

I prefer that combo as well. If they can match it I will have to get one myself.
I'm impressed too, and excited that I will get the same color sprectrum that I loved from the Giesemann combo. While the current "planted tank" configuration that Buildmyled.com has is not awful, it is just not same as the Giesemann combo.
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

Another update. Nick sent me an email last night.
I just ordered these lamps, so I will start the prototyping process as soon as they arrive.
I'm still amazed that he is willing to do all of this in the midst of getting his new business underway.
Julie
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

You have to understand that this is his business. He is establishing a brand...and you are also helping him with product development and advertising. There is a good chance that after he designs your new lighting, he will have the specs for it to offer to other customers going forward. If he was just selling something stock out of the box he likely wouldnt offer this type of customer service, but his product is kind of like Dell computers. Quite alot of the same parts across the board but each lamp is likely a little different. Look at all the word of mouth advertising that you have just given him in this setting, which is a customer rich environment for his business. Just my thoughts. Glad to see there are still vendors that do want to provide the best.
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-
jweis

Post by jweis »

Ltrepeter2000 wrote:You have to understand that this is his business. He is establishing a brand...and you are also helping him with product development and advertising. There is a good chance that after he designs your new lighting, he will have the specs for it to offer to other customers going forward. If he was just selling something stock out of the box he likely wouldnt offer this type of customer service, but his product is kind of like Dell computers. Quite alot of the same parts across the board but each lamp is likely a little different. Look at all the word of mouth advertising that you have just given him in this setting, which is a customer rich environment for his business. Just my thoughts. Glad to see there are still vendors that do want to provide the best.
Yes, I get it. Many "good" companies would have offered me a refund, and/or perhaps let me order something different. For him to go out and BUY and PROTOTYPE my setup is beyond what I ever expected. Especially since most of his current customer are happy with the preconfigured planted tank light spectrum. I am more than glad to spread the word, and I really do hope his business is wildly successful. I have taken pictures of the fixtures, and will post them as soon as I come up for air on my work project.

The quality of their fixtures is top notch. Way above the quality that I have seen from any other light fixture. The cord is sturdy and long. I've always been nervous about having unsealed lights hanging over water. I'm a clutz, and even with a GFI, I still never wanted to find out what would happen if a screw came loose and the light fell in. With these fixtures from Buildmyled, they are waterproof. I still don't plan to give it a dunk test, but it gives me some additional peace of mind.
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

Here are the pictures of the fixtures as promised:
Attachments
Buildmyled mounted in canopy.jpg
Buildmyled mounted in canopy.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Buildmyled packaging 2.jpg
Buildmyled packaging 2.jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Buildmyled sealed lights.jpg
Buildmyled sealed lights.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Buildmyled sealed lights side view.jpg
Buildmyled sealed lights side view.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Buildmyled ballast.jpg
Buildmyled ballast.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Buildmyled angle marking.jpg
Buildmyled angle marking.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

And, here is a picture of the aquarium with the new lights. The colors are good, just not as great as with the Geisemann aquaflora/midday combo.

Also, it is difficult to tell in this fuzzy photo, but the plants are all pearling like crazy. It is bubble city.
Attachments
37g 3-18-13 compressed.jpg
37g 3-18-13 compressed.jpg (50.19 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
Julie

Sponsors