mulitple aquariums

Lighting, filtration etc
jweis

mulitple aquariums

Post by jweis »

I've been pondering the idea of setting up several small aquariums to breed different types of shrimps. Low and behold I came across a pic from the fellow GWAPA members Rick and Mary which showed LOTS of small aquariums on a rack.

I was wondering how the filtering works with so many tanks. Does each tank have its own filter, or is one large filter handling all the tanks?

Or another idea I had was to set up one long and short tank and divide it with panes of glass. My same question would apply. Can this be done with one external canister filter?
Attachments
multiple tanks.jpg
multiple tanks.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Separate tanks are better all on their own filter. That way if something goes wrong, gets a disease it wont effect the other tanks.
Jeff U.

ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

Jeff120 wrote:Separate tanks are better all on their own filter. That way if something goes wrong, gets a disease it wont effect the other tanks.
+1 all the way! disease prevention. so the collectoritis is kicking you? :lol:
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
jweis

Post by jweis »

What about one tank divided into three for three different types of shrimp. Has anyone ever done that?
Julie
halak

Post by halak »

If you divide one tank, make sure you don't use a plastic divider with holes because the baby shrimp might swim through. This is especially relevant if you are trying to raise shrimp varieties that may crossbreed.
Viktor
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I used to do this too. I used one large air pump with a gang valve and ran small sponge filters on each tank. It takes some tweaking to get the air the same to each tank, but it's cheap and effective. Also, there's no risk of sucking up any babies into filter intakes. The top tanks were my shrimp tanks and the bottom three were my plant farms.
Attachments
aquariumrack.jpg
aquariumrack.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
jweis

Post by jweis »

halak wrote:If you divide one tank, make sure you don't use a plastic divider with holes because the baby shrimp might swim through. This is especially relevant if you are trying to raise shrimp varieties that may crossbreed.
What about using a fine stainless steel mesh?
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

Aaron,
Cool set up. Jen warned me that I might catch the fever and I think I might have.

Did you have to have a separate heater in each tank? I was hoping to use one canister filter for 3-5 tanks. Is it possible to some how split the intake and out take lines so they all feed into the one filter?

I would think fish stores don't use different filters for each tank...
Julie
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

I haven't tried tank dividers, but have used hang on the side breeder boxes.
The only issue I had was on a few occasions shrimp would climb out of the breeder box into the main tank.

Doug
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

jweis wrote:Aaron,
Cool set up. Jen warned me that I might catch the fever and I think I might have.

Did you have to have a separate heater in each tank? I was hoping to use one canister filter for 3-5 tanks. Is it possible to some how split the intake and out take lines so they all feed into the one filter?

I would think fish stores don't use different filters for each tank...
The sponge filters is probably a lot easier.

I didn't use heaters. This was in a second floor apartment and between the ambient temp and the heat from the shop light it stayed pretty much in the mid 70s.

Sponsors