seriously. reliable heaters?

Lighting, filtration etc
DonkeyFish

seriously. reliable heaters?

Post by DonkeyFish »

Just had a catastrophe in my salty pico when I noticed the heater still running around noon and the temp at 89°. Second heater I've been through in that tank in 2 months. First one just quit, which is much more desirable than defaulting to "fry".

I have had better luck with brands for bigger tanks, but can't seem to find much for small tanks that aren't too big to fit nicely. Looking for 25- 50 watts, less than 8". Anybody have any suggestions/recommendations/stay away froms?

Unfortunately now that it's winter the ambient temp in the condo is too low to not heat the tank. And no, the LED lights don't produce enough heat to raise the temp enough.

I really don't understand what on earth is so difficult about making an aquarium heater that's reliable. It's not like the technology is advanced or complicated... ugh.

TIA
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
halak

Re: seriously. reliable heaters?

Post by halak »

I have not had any catastrophes yet, but my thinking would be to use a heater that is underrated for the tank you need it for. This way, even if the heater is continuously on, it would not be able to overheat the tank.
Viktor
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

I really like my Cobalt Noe-Therm heater. It's flat and not really noticeable against a black background.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=25144

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You don't mention what brand it is that fried?

I have a Hydor inline heater that I really like. I think they make a nano one too.
jweis

Post by jweis »

I use the Hydor for my 37g, but it is too big for my nano tanks. In my nanos I use the Aqueon Pro Heater 50 w (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C5 ... UTF8&psc=1).

Up until about three weeks ago I had wonderful luck with them. I have four of them in small tanks for 2.5 years. With that said, one of them died (just no more heat, although the indicator light was on). I only discovered it when I put my hand in the water and thought it was a little chilly. I have no idea how long it was broken. Luckily my Tangerine Tiger shrimp are tough little guys and gals, and they survived without any problem.

The heaters do have a lifetime warranty, and when I get around to it I will send the broken one back for a replacement so I can have a spare. I do like that they are black and blend in nicely. I refuse to use glass heaters anymore, after I had one shatter on me once. That was no fun.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
halak

Post by halak »

I used a Hydor inline heater on a 30 for a month or so in the spring then turned it off for the summer. When I wanted to turn it back on a few weeks ago, nothing happened (the light didn't come on either). I contacted customer support yesterday and got an answer in a few hours saying that I should send it to them. So, so far their customer service seems great. I will let you know what happens next. By the way, as far as I know, they make only a 200W and a 300W inline heater for two different tube sizes.
Viktor
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Guess i should have mentioned that part. It is a 3 gal eco pico. Now we all see the problem clearer! So like a 25watt or less even! Narrow field to pick from? Heck yeah.

I had been looking at the hydor and theo, but found reviews to be rather dismal. Looks like theres a new company that just essentially bought out visi-therm but didn't do much if anything to improve the line.

I would do in-line if it could plumb into my mini canister...
tug

Post by tug »

If the tubing running from your mini canister is 12/16mm (1/2") the Hydor 200 will fit.
I've had mine for as long as five years w/out any problems.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
jweis

Post by jweis »

How about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-N ... =25+heater . It is not super cheap, but it is adjustable. Many of the low watt heaters just come preset.

I think the inline hydro heaters will just be too much for your little tank.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

200watts in 3 gallons just scares me :) Although I do like the idea of an inline... Thanks though!

Julie, yes, looks like that's the one Arlene said she has and likes. Good LORD $40? Sigh. I suppose it's cheaper than buying a new one every couple of months and dealing with potential disasters over and over again. Somebody should revolutionize the aquarium heater world. I am totally touching the tip of my nose with my index finger and yelling "NOT IT!!" right now... but *somebody* should...

Thanks for all the tips and help everybody!

Sponsors