mulitple aquariums

Lighting, filtration etc
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

Fish store usually have a common filtration system and you can do the same with multiple smaller tanks. But you need to "join" them together with some pvc pipes either by drilling the tanks (quite complicated - drills, bulkheads, etc), or simply by creating "communicating vessels" with some inverted "U" shaped pipes going from one tank to the other from which you extracted the air out. The intake of the cannister filter will be at one end of this aquarium chain, the output at the other. ( if you look for "PVC overflow" you will find the basics principle that applies ).

Eugen
ingg

Post by ingg »

I'd venture to say common filtration and shrimp breeding isn't going to mix well.

Those babies are TINY, routinely getting sucked into filters.

Aaron's way is sorta clean and pure, on multiple fronts (keeping strains separated, keeping water separated, etc.)
Dave
halak

Post by halak »

What about using a fine stainless steel mesh?
As Dave said, baby shrimp are tiny. I guess a 1 micron mesh would probably work. :P

But seriously, if you could figure out and get the correct mesh size, it would work. It would just have to be a really fine mesh.
Viktor
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

They are not stiff, but there is a reptile that has really small hole that would work.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
150EH

Post by 150EH »

That's what I was going to suggest, sponge filters are cheap and let you keep tanks seperate.

I don't know why but those little tiny shrimp are brave little buggers, but they are so much fun to watch, who needs a television.

A fine mesh on a strong intake just means the babies will die at the mesh instead of in the filter.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Well, I have been looking into options on and off all day. My goal is have different compartments for different shrimp, all lined up in a row to look nice.

I am going to buy cheap 10g tanks and take the rims off. I found instructions how to do this at: http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com ... d_Tank.pdf

Then I will set up the 10gs side by side (short side facing the front). Depending on which spot I choose to do this I may do either three or four tanks side by side. I will take the suggestions I have received to use sponge filters driven by an air pump. I just plan on making them low tech tanks, so I will not pump in CO2. I am looking for attractive, but not expensive, lighting options. Again, no CO2, so the lights can't drive the plants to demand the CO2. Any suggestions?

This strategy will me to move the tanks around as the mood suits me, and it will also allow me room to grow incrementally in the future. I have a feeling I will want some 10g's in my dining room too to use as terrariums and perhaps a couple for extra plants.

I can envision a rack with three levels of 5 rimless tanks side by side. SHUSH dont tell me husband, he just thinks I am getting 3. Poor guy will return from a business trip and the dining room will no longer be the kids' art room, it will be Julie's fish room.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

You might find the rims under the plastic a bit sharpish as I doubt they take the time to knock off the edges. You can use a carbide stone or 300grit carbide paper on a sanding block to soften them a bit. Do it wet to avoid glass dust and wipe carefully with a cloth. The dust can scratch the remaining glass and obviously not good to breathe!

What are you going to use for a rack? Water is 8lb/gal...do some math before picking your rack.

Sounds like fun!

Jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Julie;

If these are going to be all shrimp tanks, you might want to consider 5 gallon tanks. Shrimp don't need a lot of tank space and they'll be half the weight.

Cheers.
Jim
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

One of these should do the trick: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

I don't recommend using the type that I had mine on. Let's just say it was a balancing act. 8)
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

I'm a little late, but I'd like to chime in and say separate tanks and sponge filters would definitely be my choice. Sponge filters are easy, the shrimp love picking off food from the sponges and you won't have to worry about them getting sucked into the filter. Plus one good air pump is going to be easier and cheaper than a canister to run them all (or separate HOB filters, if you go that route). And 5 gallon tanks over 10 gallons too, shrimp don't need that much room plus it will be that much easier to catch them out of a smaller tank :)

And I've de-rimmed a 5 gallon tank. It took a little time, they really adhere those things well. I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND FINISHING THE EDGES WHEN YOU'RE DONE. they are VERY sharp. Also, the glass they use for 5 gallon tanks is scary thin, unless you have a really good reason for removing the rims I don't know that I would do it again. I ran the tank that way for awhile and had no issues, but the glass DOES bow a little. Oh, and all the equipment like filters, lights, etc. are made to fit the edge of a tank *with* the rim. Just something to think about, since I certainly didn't! :roll:

Regardless... Welcome to the world of obsession! Don't worry, we won't tell your hubby. :wink:
It is not murder if you're killing snails.

Sponsors