update

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Perhaps you poisoned my jars! ;-) That is weird though. My Porto Vehlo is brown too -- I bet it's dead. Ghazanfar mentioned to me that we weren't supposed to do much of an alcohol dip on the stems as it's extremely destructive to softer tissue like that. Doh!
Amy_Payne

Post by Amy_Payne »

Kris, hang in there. My palustris was (and still is) turning brown in some spots, but in the last two days finally showed a new shoot with a tiny leaf. I figure as long as there is no obvious contamination or complete degradation there is always hope. And unless you need to recycle the jar, might as well keep waiting and watching.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Amy_Payne wrote:I figure as long as there is no obvious contamination or complete degradation there is always hope.
That's what I'm thinking, but still mine is doing nothing Maybe my Anubias is doing a little. Its still green, but still a lump. What is the temp where all of you have yours?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My temps are around 75 degrees where I'm keeping my jars.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Our jars are kept in the kitchen, in between our two nano tanks, so they get plenty of incidental light. The temp is probably 72*F or warmer.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

OK, I'm 95% certain I have growth on the Anubias from Aaron. The last couple days it has been getting greener. I had something sticking out of the top, but I thought it was just wehere I had torn the plant and it was piece of tissue hanging off, but now its getting green too and seems a bit longer.

So what do I do now? Give it a few more days to establish and them move it to a jar with more BAP? Its in one of the green jars that I believe was 1/2 strength MS with 1 mg/L of BAP.

The other stuff isn't doing anything except an African Violet leaf looks like it is getting bright green in one area.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ben Belton wrote:OK, I'm 95% certain I have growth on the Anubias from Aaron. The last couple days it has been getting greener. I had something sticking out of the top, but I thought it was just wehere I had torn the plant and it was piece of tissue hanging off, but now its getting green too and seems a bit longer.

So what do I do now? Give it a few more days to establish and them move it to a jar with more BAP? Its in one of the green jars that I believe was 1/2 strength MS with 1 mg/L of BAP.

The other stuff isn't doing anything except an African Violet leaf looks like it is getting bright green in one area.
I wouldn't push the hormone levels too much just yet. You'll probably want to wait until it develops a bit more.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

OK everyone. If you will recall, I was writing an article about the workshop for The Aquatic Gardener. Well, Cheryl thinks it would be great in the issue after the issue with my article to post an update on how everyone's cultures are doing. So if you are interested, please take pictures of your jars that are doing OK and in a few months we'll get pictures of them full of plants.

Maybe if you have a jar full of mold, you can take a picture of that too. Its all part of the process I guess.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

I hace one jar with a pea sized ball of mold. Everything else is still in good shape, relatively speaking.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Take pictures

Sponsors