update

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

kerokero

Post by kerokero »

Some of the orchid was dry seed... the genus that starts with an S (and yes, I am too lazy to go upstairs and see what the label says). I had some of the Bletia sp. seeds as well which were fresh from the pod. They are the ones that keep making me look twice on if they might be germinating or not :? What I really need to do is stop looking at all the damn jars every time I swirl the jewel orchid one with the overlay!

The jewel orchid is truely testing me since parts of it are definately dying... the parts of the stalks that do not have a node on each end. This is actually typical of the jewel orchids tho, they will rot by "section". I've got a center section that is complete from node to node, and not only am I seeing some node development (spots where roots or stems are going to come out) but these node "spots" are showing up in various parts of the good stem piece. Hardy little buggers ;) Either it's going to die, or I'm going to have a bush of this stuff in the near future.

I would expect the stems (since they grow so much anyways) and established explants to be doing the most growing... orchids from seed surely are a test of patience. It may take something like 3+ years just to see the ones from seed actually bloom! Can someone please tell me why I was trying to get into hybridizing orchids????
Best, Corey
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Anyone had any growth yet? I still have lumps.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I have some growth on one of my Crypt ideii cultures. I have a new leaf beginning to form that's about 4-5 mm in length now. I see one forming on the other Crypt ideii culture I did too, just taking longer because I hacked that one back considerably.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

That's really good. I'm glad someone is having luck. My anubius still has some green on it, but it just isn't doing anything. So not dead and not contaminated is a good thing. Just not growing. Maybe it will come around since I Cloroxed it longer and since they grow slow anyway.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

No growth on any of mine. I have mold in my Proserpinaca cultures. Porto Vehlo is mold-free, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were dead from alcohol dipping. :-(
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Nothing I've got is contaminated - yet.

My porto vehlo looks dead - over sterilized. Last time I did it, I had 100% survival with only the bleach treatment. Those explants are now 2" tall.

Prospenica is growing - both cultures.

African V & orchid are fine with little signs of anything. The AV might have some 'swelling', which is a precursor to growth, but its too early to tell.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Nothing I've noticed. My Anubias 'Gold' still looks to be in the early puberty stages but the mould filaments don't seem to be growing.

My jars are in the basement under T-12's and with temps in the mid 60's progress will be slower than for the rest of you.

Cheers.
Jim
Judi

Post by Judi »

Still can't tell if the African violet leaves are showing signs of anything, or if it's just wishful thinking. :)

The stem plants are both showing a little growth at the nodes.

Venus flytrap still just sitting there.

New leaf on the banana plant is a little bigger.

Orchid seeds doing nothing.

Still no mold! :D

My cultures are also in a cool basement under t-12s.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Mine are in the basement too. Maybe I need to put them where it is warmer.
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

I have nothing in any of mine, no mold or growth. My porto vehlo is looking a little brown though. Kinda weird that you have mold Kris, considering ours were done at the same time. Perhaps another factor contributing to it?
Jeff U.

Sponsors