Tools of the trade

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

HAHA.. I wanted to say that, but I haven't done as much tissue culture as I have done work with orchids and with the orchids, I've used 10x as many jars as I thought I would ever need.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

DelawareJim wrote:
Ben Belton wrote:They are expensive, but I guess you don't need many.
Yeah, $2.14 each for a lot of 25 smarts a little.

Cheers.
Jim
They're only about $1.70 each for lots of 100. I'm interested too, but like Kris and Jim I haven't had time to sit down and make a comprehensive list. I'd prefer to wait a couple weeks and really figure out what all I need first.

I was thinking baby food jars for stages 1 and 2 and GA-7 vessels for growout containers.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

We're in the same boat as Aaron - we pretty much need everything, but we don't really know how much of everything we need. Plus, cash is a little tight right now - our fridge died and we discovered termites in our house. Ahhh, the joys of homeownership! :evil:

So I know everyone is geeked to get started on this, and I certainly don't want to hold anyone up, but if we can get significant savings on containers and such by doing a large group order, we'd appreciate it if we could wait a few weeks.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

If you want to save money on larger "grow out" type containers. You can get Mason jars from Wal-mart and Phytotech sells reusable and autoclavable caps for those as well. A dozen half quart mason jars is around ~$5.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

One of the slides Carol had showed Gladware containers, $3, for 8 or something at the grocery store. Microwavable, disposable, cheap, big mouth, tall... Otherwise Ben has the best point, Mason jars are great. Salsa jars are good, also with a huge mouth.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Yeah;

I think I'm pretty good on grow out jars. I've saved any straight sided widemoth jar I can get my hands on; jelly, mason, peanut butter jars.... I'm becoming the jar version of a bibliomaniac. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Jim
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ben Belton wrote:
DelawareJim wrote:I need to order either vessels or lids and a few other odds n ends.
HERE are your vessels.
Sweet. I won! :D
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Aaron wrote:Sweet. I won! :D
Excellent! This sounds silly, but I have been in some bidding wars for baby food jars. I buy only the 6oz ones and they are harder to get. There are some good offers right now for 4oz jars for any of you looking.

Maybe we should get together a basic list of what people might need that they can't find at home, and then one of you can start a group order. Maybe by the time everyone decides, Chris will have taken care of the fridge and termites. What a nightmare. When it rains it pours. Remember, Chris... things come in threes :twisted:

1. agar (Phytotech A296 or A111)
2. MS media (Phytotech M524)
3. PPM
4. Phytocaps (Phytotech C070)
5. BAP (Phytotech B130) I think.. or DIY BAP
6. Caps for Mason Jars (Phytotech C566?)
7. Sealing film (Phytotech A003)

As far as the agar, I know you can get it cheap in certain stores, but then you have to play around with the amount. Might be easier for everyone to get the same one, and then everyone will know how much to use.
Last edited by Ben Belton on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

6. Phytocaps for mason jars (Phytotech C566?)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wouldn't buying the BAP in dry form make more economical sense? The solution is $12.75 for 100 ml at 1 mg / ml and you can get 1 gram (1,000 mg) for $5.00. Granted you'd have to buy a scale, but it would have to be one expensive scale to not be worth it. I seem to recall Dr. Kane saying something about it being better to mix hormones fresh every time you use them.

Sponsors