DIY Stir plate

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

You could always enclose the fan in a plastic box so that there is no air movement. Sometimes it helps to think inside the box.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

SCMurphy wrote:You could always enclose the fan in a plastic box so that there is no air movement. Sometimes it helps to think inside the box.
Right, but you can't seal it completely or it would build pressure within the box. I think the best solution is to enclose it completely and snip the fan blades off so they don't try to move air within the box.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Didn't even think to snip off the blades. That's probably all you need. Perhaps you'll even get higher RPMs from less resistance of the blades?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

DelawareJim wrote:Phyto Tech Labs has them for $6 - $7.
http://www.phytotechlab.com/searchresul ... tegoryid=8

Else you could use a nail or piece or metal rod dipped in "plasti dip". You can get a can of dip at HD or Lowes for about $6 - $7.

Cheers.
Jim
I'd just be worried about it being balanced well - small weight shift = wobble = noisy - though it would probably still work fine.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

In theory it should self center after it starts spinning. The start up could possibly throw the stir weight against the walls of the vessel.

Only problem with the DIY I mentioned before is the dip costs as much as the stir rod. Then what do you do with the can of dip?

Cheers.
Jim
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

DelawareJim wrote: Then what do you do with the can of dip?

Cheers.
Jim
Chips?
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Aaron wrote:
SCMurphy wrote:You could always enclose the fan in a plastic box so that there is no air movement. Sometimes it helps to think inside the box.
Right, but you can't seal it completely or it would build pressure within the box. I think the best solution is to enclose it completely and snip the fan blades off so they don't try to move air within the box.
Pressure? If the box is completely closed in there is no pressure or air flow. It might be easier than snipping the fins off, Which could cause balance problems. It also gives you a way to mount the fan, and it protects the fan from spills.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

There's a guy selling DIY's on ebay that uses computer fans and wooden cigar boxes. Boxes look completed enclosed to me.

Cheers.
Jim
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

In reference if it needs to be in the hood or not... I don't know if it does, Carol was using it outside of a hood during the cleaning phase (like with my very "dirty" jewel orchid). I believe settling dust and what not wasn't an issue since it was falling into a solution meant to kill problematic contaminants? The plant tissue was kept submerged, and removed from the solution under the hood (after container and surface of the solution was sprayed down), but that was all that I noticed. It takes up a lot of room either way, so I'd just have the plate outside the hood, and the beaker container brought in after stirring. I don't want to clutter up my hood with any electronics that I'd have to spray down either, so I'm more than happy to have it outside.

The DIY shaker table was done by Frank - the guy in the Youtube vids that was linked in the initial TC class thread. I really hope my jewel got clean enough that I won't have to resort to that :roll: I'm sticking with the overlay I swirl once a day and keeping my fingers crossed.
Best, Corey
magsdez

Post by magsdez »

Just an input for a stir rod. If you look in agriculture websites that cater to cattle, they sell magnet rods dirt cheap. Why you ask? Because cows are notorious for eating anything and will pick up pieces of metal and nails. There actually is a vet term for eating metal-hardware disease! Anyhow, ranchers can purchase magnets that they can put down into a cow's first stomach to collect the metal into one spot. This causes the metal to sink to the bottom and not interfer with normal digestion. Oh, and the magnets come with a warning to only use 1 per cow! :mrgreen: So, these magnets look exactly like the stir rods we used in all my science classes in HS and college (remember- I have a degree in Animal Science! Lots of bio/chem/nutrition/etc classes! :wink: )

So, just a suggestion.
Bridget

Sponsors