Welcome!

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

The workshop yesterday was a huge success - a lot of fun, good information and we got to do hands on tissue culture. I saw a lot of people walking away with intention on carrying this on.

Anyway - Ben 'green beans' Belton had a great idea - let's set a section up on the GWAPA forum to discuss TC, share successes and failures and possibly a launching pad for supply related group orders etc.

Thank you Kris for adding this to the site so quickly!
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Thanks, Ghazanfar and Kris for setting up this forum, I know Amy and I are both looking forward to giving this a shot. Count us in when coordinating group buys - we need pretty much everything from media and hormones to culture vessels.

Now we need to get some emersed-grown plants going, so we'll have some reasonably clean plants to start cultures with. So perhaps after next month's meeting, we'll have to start up a "Growing plants emersed" forum! :)
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

As far as group buys, a lot of this stuff isn't so expensive, but the minimum quantities can be 100 or more items. Not many people need all that. On the other hand, some of it is expensive and the minimum order is still 100 or so items.

I had a good time.
Ben
Persian Chicken is Finger Lickin Good!
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Ben likes to rain on the parade, even if he is in it.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

I think a lot of us pulled a lot of information from the class, I know between that and all the plant info on sunday my brain hurts a little :shock: as Jim has said... "we'll make a botanist of you yet!" I think this weekend was a giant leap in that direction :lol:

I wonder if it would be worth putting some intro to TC info up in a sticky for those not lucky enough to have gone? I ended up writing out a lot of the info I picked up just to organize my thoughts and figured it might be a good article at some point... connecting a lot of the info you can find from online. I couldn't sleep with all the facts floating around my head until I spit them out on paper :shock:

Monocots and Dicots... where do ferns come in? (As in other than spores, how can you TC them) Is there a specific name for the type of growth you see with leaves/misc plant parts like with African Violets, rhizomatus and rex begonias, etc?

As for Ben's comment... at least one "recomended" source for hormones and what not seems to have a set rate for shipping around $12... a lot if you are just ordering a couple hormones and agar for yourself, but might be worth having others drop in their wants into the order... but otherwise I can see how our quatity orders don't fit the company's idea of wholesale!
Best, Corey

Sponsors