Nerites

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Tim_Koles

Nerites

Post by Tim_Koles »

So my 90 gallon tank has a minor bushy green algae problem and I'm trying out a few things to fix it. One things that does not help is that there are NO snails in that tank. I have 5 dwarf chain loaches that have done there job and brought down an explosive overabundance of them and reduced it to the point that I have not seen a snail in over a year. Maybe longer

I have 4 zebra nerites in another tank and could bring them into the 90. Do you think the loaches would bother them? They are much larger that snails that used to be in that tank. Also would they go after that type of algae? Anyone have experience with loaches and nerites?

I also need to pick up some more oto's at some point. I had a bunch but they have died off from old age recently as I bought all of them over 5 years ago when I set this tank up. Maybe they would be a better choice.

Tim
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: Nerites

Post by Becca »

Try young Crosschelius reticulatus. I wouldn't trust the loaches with snails of any size.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Also IME Nerites don't do anything for the more filamentous algae like BBA. They're just not made to nosh on stuff like that. Try upping your maintenance or use H2O2?
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Thanks. Ill keep this in mind.

Sponsors