HELP! Fish wasting!

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Jim Miller

HELP! Fish wasting!

Post by Jim Miller »

I've had very little problems keeping critters in the time I've had this 90g. But lately I'm finding some fish, for lack of a better term, wasting away. My Espei rasboras are usually vigorously swimming in the tank. Now a few are hanging in the slower current area and a couple have gone from nice and fat to more bullet shaped and hanging near the surface more often.

A similar thing is happening to the recently acquired sundedanio.

No spots or visible defects on any of them its just like they've decided to waste away, one or two at a time.

I've been doing frequent water changes. We have well water here and nitrates and ammonia are nil. No CO2. Water temp at 74f.

Fed a healthy pinch of food once each morning. Same conditions that have worked well for the last several years.

I wonder if they've caught the flu or a parasite has invaded?

Help!!

jim
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: HELP! Fish wasting!

Post by Becca »

Internal parasites - try feeding a food that contains metronidazole twice a day for 7-10 days.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Is this something I can get at a typical pet store?

Need to start today!

Jim
JLW

Post by JLW »

Probably not, Jim. You can try Prazi Pro, which will work just as well, or you can possibly buy metronidazole at a good aquarium store (Congressional in Rockville has it). Thaw a bunch of frozen food, and mix it into the frozen food as directed, so that each feeding contains a "dose." Refreeze the food, and then feed it. Not the best, but it works.

You can also try SafeGuard for Goats at a dose of about 1 drop per gallon, which clears out many internal parasites in a single treatment. You can get this at Tractor Supply and similar stores.
><>
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Just got back from Shrewsbury where the local pet store had minimal fish supplies but DID have metronidazole by API. Just added the first treatment to the tank.

Thanks

jim (fingers crossed...)
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

No joy. Two back to back courses of metronidazole have failed to stop the fish wasting. It's gradually killing all my schooling fish. No idea what to do other than watch them all die. Very depressing.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I'm getting another batch of metronidazole and trying once more. Only two sundedanios left and they're not eating.

jim
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Did you try any of the other meds that Josh recommended?
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

No. The fish that are wasteing aren't eating at all by the time they show symptoms. So feeding isn't the answer. I'm hoping that at least this round of medication will wipe them out. I've significantly upped the dosage this time around.

Otos and loaches are fine. Espeis are mostly OK. White clouds holding their own.

jim
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hey Jim,

Metro is kind of a mild anti parasitic. Try, instead, either levimisol or febendazole. You can get both at Tractor Supply or other farm / livestock type stores. You can also order it from Amazon, and it's slightly cheaper, but ... I don't like to support Amazon when I can avoid it. :) Febendazol is the active ingredient in Safeguard for Goats. You can use this at a dosage of about 1-Drop per Gallon, though you'll need an eye dropper.

It's a thick, milk-like substance. Make sure you shake it up well, and disperse it throughout the water. If at all feasible, feed the fish heavily just before adding the medication. This has the effect of helping to push any intestinal worms out through obvious means, and another benefit that I'll get to in a moment. Wait about 24-hours and then do a good sized water change with vacuuming the gravel. None of the deworming medications actually kill worms(!!!), what they do is basically sedate the worms, which causes them to lose their grip on the intestine and be passed. Now, that's all fine and good, if you're a goat or something, but ... what do you put on a fish hook to catch fish? The fish will eat the passed worms, which may or may not have the effect of killing the worm, but any eggs contained inside of it will just hatch, reinfecting the fish. So, by vacuuming the gravel heavily, you can remove a lot of these passed worms. The heavy feeding also discourages the fish from eating worms, as they're full. (BTW, now is a good time to practice NOT getting water in your mouth when starting a syphon. ;)

You'll want to repeat the treatment every single week for at least 3-4 treatments, total. DO NOT DOSE MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK.

Lastly, a big disclaimer on the use of Safeguard for Goats on aquarium fish, or any other medication:
Should you choose to purchase a medication, such as Safeguard for Goats, which is not intended for use on aquarium fishes, you accept all liability, and use it with the understanding and knowledge that you are using this medication for a purpose other than that which is intended (e.g., deworming goats). While I, and many others, have successfully used said product without any issues, your experiences may vary. Further, understand that the manufacturer of this product is under no compunction whatsoever to ensure that it is safe for aquarium fish, plants, or other animals, and may change or modify the binding and carrying chemicals in this product at any time, making it no longer aquarium safe. While this may be unlikely, many anti-parasitic medications are extremely lethal to aquatic life.
><>

Sponsors