OMG! Daisy's Ricefish Babies Are Super-Tiny!

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Tyger

OMG! Daisy's Ricefish Babies Are Super-Tiny!

Post by Tyger »

OMG! I have to say tiny borders on microscopic to the point where they might feed a large Daphnia (lol) and a standard tropical fish net will have holes too big. I have a 65-Gallon (36x18x24) that is moderately to heavily planted. So, catching them is out of the question between the depth, plants, and micro-size. I'll feed them fry-food and wish them well - Aquarium Darwinism, at least until they are catchable. Geeze! While I get my hi-fin, longtail swords are bigger and more bulky (hence the babies are pretty big), I have to say I was socked given the size of the tiger endler's babies! Well, time for bed! G'night and sweet dreams (and good luck lil' guys... you'll need it... you're swimming with sparkling gourami's who are great micro hunters)!
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
krisw
Site Admin

Re: OMG! Daisy's Ricefish Babies Are Super-Tiny!

Post by krisw »

Very cool! I just got a dozen or so Oryzias woworae, as well, and I'm hoping they'll breed for me. Did you do anything special with them (food, etc) to get them to spawn?
Tyger

Post by Tyger »

Honestly, no. I should add that I have 3-5 adults and let the scape go jungle (aka in need of a good trim). Water is very soft 0-1 that I bump with baking soda to 2-4. I wish you the best ... just hope you have small tank - lol.

from My iPhone
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Turkey basters work really well to catch small fry. I use one for my blue-eyed rainbow fry. Those are small fry as well. Probably comparable size. Good luck! When you catch them make sure to use water from their tank to fill the growout and do your water changes at first with water from their original tank. Gradually switch to 50/50 tank and new water so you don't shock them then eventually up the mix to full new water. Fry can be sensitive!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Or something like this, made from some CO2 tubing, a skewer, and a few zip ties!!! Can you get any photos of the fry?

Sincerely,
Tim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Tyger wrote:Honestly, no. I should add that I have 3-5 adults and let the scape go jungle (aka in need of a good trim). Water is very soft 0-1 that I bump with baking soda to 2-4. I wish you the best ... just hope you have small tank - lol.

from My iPhone
Ah, the unexpected fry when you're not trying for them are the best surprises! Your modified water actually matches my normal water parameters pretty closely, so hopefully it's just a matter of time. Of course, they're in a 40 breeder, so it's not a "small tank." I may have to setup a breeding/fry tank.
Tyger

Post by Tyger »

Oh, shoot! I thought I pressed send though maybe note... thanks for the advice on how to catch them using turkey basters - great idea. Unfortunately, I did not notice them until only a few were left and within no time - poof! I have a strong feeling my sparkling gourami found them to hard to resist.
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD

Sponsors