Planaria???

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
jweis

Re: Planaria???

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:I did find one in the US for $39.99 plus shipping, so $50 for this little thing.

I'm buying my glass blowing kit tomorrow!
I know, very expensive. I was thinking using heat and carefully bending some acrylic tubing might work as well.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Unless you really want the Rolls Royce of traps, what about using a small water bottle? Cut the neck off, flip it round, and silicone in place. Much like a shrimp trap.

You'll probably have to pour some shrimp back in, but the planaria should stay.

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

DelawareJim wrote:Unless you really want the Rolls Royce of traps, what about using a small water bottle? Cut the neck off, flip it round, and silicone in place. Much like a shrimp trap.

Cheers.
Jim
I wanted something small for my shrimp tanks. A water bottle would take up quite a bit of room. However, with that said, I admit I spent too much on a little trap.
Julie
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Found this DIY planaria trap on you tube.
http://youtu.be/saU7S2ybskw

Cheers.
Jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

jweis wrote:
DelawareJim wrote:Unless you really want the Rolls Royce of traps, what about using a small water bottle? Cut the neck off, flip it round, and silicone in place. Much like a shrimp trap.

Cheers.
Jim
I wanted something small for my shrimp tanks. A water bottle would take up quite a bit of room. However, with that said, I admit I spent too much on a little trap.
Oh. You got one already. Well then... Never mind.

Cheers.
Jim
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I made my own from a prescription bottle with a child proof cap for free and it looks like it but it should work. I peeled off the labels and removed the glue with Windex and butter, it took 3 times of alternating each and a short scrub. The childproof cap is only water tight if you flip it over and screw it on and it will leak if you use the CP side.Then I drilled a pilot hole and honed it out with a razor knife until a short piece of 1/4 inch OD rigid tubing would fit, then I used hot glue on both sides. I put some shrimp food inside, filled it with water and put on the cap but it still wanted to float when I put it in the tank so I made a suction cup holder to fit the bottle. You need a short section of 1/4 inch OD rigid tubing, a short piece of air line tubing, a suction cup with a filter tubing holder (Eheim) and some hot glue. I just cut the ears off of the tubing holder so it has a small rounded profile to mate up with the rigid tubing but make sure you put it all together before you glue as it may be to fragile to assemble later.

I made a holder for my feeding dish so it would be up off of the substrate and it has worked well and held together well but I make sure to handle it as not to put any lateral pressure on the glued areas.

Sincerely,
Tim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I'd put it on its side Tim. How are the planaria going to get under the cap and into the tube? I know they're thin but...

Cheers.
Jim
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I don't have planaria dispite the title, it turns out they are just harmless seed shrimp but I would still like to reduce the numbers.

They are so small they sliver through the substrate so they won't have any problem getting in and I know they can smell the food beause my Cherrys were all over it after it was in the tank for just a minute.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Nice job. Is it collecting any seed shrimp?
Last edited by jweis on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I'm too blind to see but I think it is collecting some, unfortunately it was also time to feed the shrimp but I'll remove their feeding dish tomorrow and the trap will be the only source of food.
Sincerely,
Tim

Sponsors