Loricariidae (Identification) - Please Help (Answer Recv'd)

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Tyger

Loricariidae (Identification) - Please Help (Answer Recv'd)

Post by Tyger »

Greetings,

I have had these beautiful Loricariidae (Plecos) for some time and I might have once known the specifics though I was hoping that someone might help identify them by name (Common & L#). I purchased these two at GWAPA Meeting (think from Jen though I might be totally mistaken). As an aside, I do love my Tiger Hillstream Loaches. Thank-you, in advance, :mrgreen: for the help in identification,

Last edited by Tyger on Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
DonkeyFish

Re: Loricariidae (Identification) - Please Help

Post by DonkeyFish »

If they're from me they are from my spawns of a brown longfin bushynose ancistrus x red marble longfin gened bushynose ancistrus. Basically the common name is "longfinned bristlenose". Or some people call them "bushynose". Now so far as a specific "L" number...well...that's a tough question. The way I understand it is because the standard bushy/bristlenose variants are essentially unidentified because they are so common and the original locality is unknown and there has been sooooo much breeding/crossbreeding/selective breeding in the hobby. I believe it's still considered something like "Ancistrus sp(3)", but they may have renamed it by now. The longfin variety is a genetic mutation of the standard gene that has been specifically bred out through the years, as are the color variants (except of course for brown, which is the original/standard color form).

She did grow up to be quite lovely! I'm glad you're enjoying them!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Tyger

Re: Loricariidae (Identification) - Please Help

Post by Tyger »

Wow! Now that's an answer and then some... thetwo sisters(?) are beauties though I have no idea how to sex them except that they have not bred (to my knowledge) despite the fairly high level of fecundity among the other inhabitants. Of course, I am not sure that I have an adequate cave or tube-like space for them just dense plants... aw, well, then on to learning about sexing plecos - lol. Thank-you, for the answer and the fish,
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
DonkeyFish

Re: Loricariidae (Identification) - Please Help (Answer Recv

Post by DonkeyFish »

You're in luck. Sexing bristlenoses is probably the easiest of all the plecos. Males get "tentacles" (bristles) that grow on their snouts and females don't. :) To be totally correct, the females *sometimes* get little stubby bristles, but nothing at all like the males. Here's a link to some good pictures on planet catfish... http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... cies_id=49

And you're welcome, for the answers and the fish!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.

Sponsors