I have a mystery Mr. Amano

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
jweis

Re: I have a mystery Mr. Amano

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:I was unable to find a food without some form of copper.
I use Omega One's Super Color flakes. I buy it from Petsmart. It does not contain copper.

The ingredients are: Whole Salmon, Halibut, Seafood Mix (Including Krill, Rockfish, & Shrimp), Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Judi

Post by Judi »

How much of an issue is dietary copper? I notice that some shrimp foods contain small amounts. Hikari makes a point of mentioning it, stating that copper is necessary for blood regeneration.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Copper, along with iron, helps in the formation of red blood cells. It also helps in keeping the blood vessels, nerves, immune system, and bones healthy. Oysters, clams, and other shellfish are good sources of copper.

Cheers.
Jim
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I don't think these trace amounts will kill any shrimp or at least Cherry's and Amano's should be ok, but in another thread some one was talking about using an algeacide with copper that might kill everything in the tank including the plants.
Sincerely,
Tim
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

Well, I may have found out what's going on: predation?

The cherries survived 24 hours being drop acclimated to both QT and the display tank.

Then they just started dissappearing in the main. I netted the QT gang and dropped them into the main and watched. This morning there were two on leaves. I another one on the dwarf hair grass and watched a male Apisto devour it. The RCS was about the size of a cardinal.

I wonder if the same thing happened to the amanos - Most of the amanos were whole only a few were eaten and the rest dissappeared (probably eaten).

Not sure how to proceed so I may just take a break from inverts for a while and stick to otos...
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

Apistos and shrimp are not a good combination unless your population of shrimp are breeding like cockroaches and have lots and lots of hiding places.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
Judi

Post by Judi »

Sorry for your shrimp losses, but at least now you know it's not likely to be anything you did or anything to do with your water.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Still seems strange to me. Apisto eating cherries, yes. Apistos eating Amanos, not that often in my experience. I guess if they're new Amano that are still fairly small in size... However, usually when an Apisto kills a shrimp, there's not a whole lot left to find.
jweis

Post by jweis »

krisw wrote:Still seems strange to me. Apisto eating cherries, yes. Apistos eating Amanos, not that often in my experience. I guess if they're new Amano that are still fairly small in size... However, usually when an Apisto kills a shrimp, there's not a whole lot left to find.
I tend to agree with Kris. When larger fish were eating my RCS, there was nothing left to see. The Amanos are pretty large and if you are finding them belly up, that sounds like a toxic envirmonment vs being victims of prey. I think you still have a mystery on your hands.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

hmmm.... The cherries are still alive and kicking. I saw one yesterday munching on a leaf...

Based on your collective experience: What are amanos more sensitive to than cherries. From what people tell me they are both cockroaches, haha...

Salt in the water? I know amanos breed in brakish water? I don't have copper.

Maybe the water conditions in Rachel's tank were a lot more different than the guy who sold me the amanos... More acclimation time?
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)

Sponsors