Filter feeders - best methods?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
kerokero

Filter feeders - best methods?

Post by kerokero »

I'm going to be working with some filter feeding tadpoles, and the only experiences herpetologist types can tell me is to use sera micron. I know there are a variety of different situations for filter feeders (bamboo shrimp, babies of certain species, etc) and I'm looking for leads of products to look into and various critters being bred that have that stage for me to research for ideas as well?

Right now besides sera micron, I'm looking at live options like green water and free floating diatoms, as well as mentions of golden pearls?
Best, Corey
DonkeyFish

Re: Filter feeders - best methods?

Post by DonkeyFish »

Golden pearls work great, super palatable. If you need something finer Ultracolor mash is fantastic for fish fry IMHO. High in all the good proteins and "grow fast" stuff. Just Have to be very careful about overfeeding and polluting the water since it is a very fine powder and is very potent. I like that it doesn't have a lot of fillers and junk in it. I have some I could give you to try out if you'd like. Also I have used marine coral powdered foods for fry...if you want to go really out if the box :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

This whole project is out of the box so I'm fine with giving them weird stuff! Not much out there on filter feeding tads so it's my fish friends to the rescue! I'm willing to give all a go and see what they like.

Of course they could end up being only partial filter feeders (this group is all across the board and no one really knows how filter feeder vs. detritus feeder this species is) but I'd rather have all test foods ready!

With some of these foods I imagine water circulation is key to keeping it suspended? These guys are from seasonally flooded pools so I was going to go with sponge filters, but can adjust depending on food types. Clutches have the potential to be big (300+) giving me a chance to set up test groups to see what the tolerate.
Best, Corey
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Don't forget that sponger filters grow great rotifer colonies.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)

Sponsors