best algae eater amano vs Caridina babaulti?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
jweis

Re: best algae eater amano vs Caridina babaulti?

Post by jweis »

Amanos are also tougher than the GB and various other shrimp many of us have in our tanks. They do a good job keeping the algae off the fine leaved plants. I have about 15 in my 37g and 5 in my 11g. Good luck.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

I went to CCA and saw a few peeps from GWAPA.

I also met up with Rachel - She hand delivered the critters!

I switched the babaultis for amanos - She also included a few more amanos in case the angels decided to take a bite. They are currently turning the algae to salad.

Thus far the angels are ignoring the amanos like the cardinals.

Interesting note - My first time dealing with shrimp and after I use the drip method to acclimate I don't release the water into the tank. I pour it out over a net into a bucket and release the fauna into the tank... Well for fish this works beautifully, you transfer fish with no issues...
For shrimp not so much... They all decided to make the net a jungle gym, crawl around, my hand, arm - Freaking me out... Ahem... Until I composed myself and gently pushed them into the water... :shock:
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

sfarkhan wrote:For shrimp not so much... They all decided to make the net a jungle gym, crawl around, my hand, arm - Freaking me out... Ahem... Until I composed myself and gently pushed them into the water... :shock:
LOL!

It was good to see you at the meeting too! Next time, you need to stay longer.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

scientist0724 wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:For shrimp not so much... They all decided to make the net a jungle gym, crawl around, my hand, arm - Freaking me out... Ahem... Until I composed myself and gently pushed them into the water... :shock:
LOL!

It was good to see you at the meeting too! Next time, you need to stay longer.

Arlene
Great seeing you as well :) I'll try to stay longer next time - if Zip car cooperates.

They weren't kidding about building high tech aquarium rooms... I am so proud of my tank and after seeing the stuff these guys have.. Mine look like a beta bowl with a plastic plant, lol
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

So the Amano are in the tank and happy but hiding... I mean they are nearly translucent and hard enough to see, but they are supposed to be busy turning algae into salad and they are all under pieces of driftwood plants hiding :)

Do they come out at night?

Side note - watched one graze and it's got like a conveyor of little hands feeding it's face, lol
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
jweis

Post by jweis »

sfarkhan wrote:So the Amano are in the tank and happy but hiding... I mean they are nearly translucent and hard enough to see, but they are supposed to be busy turning algae into salad and they are all under pieces of driftwood plants hiding :)

Side note - watched one graze and it's got like a conveyor of little hands feeding it's face, lol
My shrimp are out all the time - day and night. I think they are great to watch.

BTW, be sure your fish food does not have any copper in it. Copper will kill shrimp.
Julie
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

jweis wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:So the Amano are in the tank and happy but hiding... I mean they are nearly translucent and hard enough to see, but they are supposed to be busy turning algae into salad and they are all under pieces of driftwood plants hiding :)

My shrimp are out all the time - day and night. I think they are great to watch.

BTW, be sure your fish food does not have any copper in it. Copper will kill shrimp.
Mine are not - I wonder why - I've seen them in the caves made by the driftwood and rocks but not out and about.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm using Aqueon Tropical Flakes, TetraMin flakes, Hikari algae wafers and HBH super soft Krill pellets.

Reading the back, the HBH super soft Krill and Aqueon Tropical Flakes both contain copper sulfate and copper proteinate as their last ingredient. I'll stop feeding those.

I didn't realize a little copper in the food could cause issues.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
jweis

Post by jweis »

Yep, copper is a shrimp killer.

I don't have any big fish in my tanks. Your shrimp probably see those big angels and stay out of sight!
Julie
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

That defeats the whole algae cleaning purpose of the buggers. :(

Wonder why it was decided to call those "Angel" fish? Pretty, yes, but their attitude is far from angelic! :)

The angels haven't gone in for a kill as far as I've seen though. I'm imagining it's just their relative size that scares the shrimp.

Anyone out there with large fish and Amanos that do come out - just wanna make sure it's okay.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sns26

Post by sns26 »

My amanos were awfully shy for a long while. In retrospect, I think it is because there was trace ammonia in the water. Takes a long time to fully cycle a tank.

Sponsors