best algae eater amano vs Caridina babaulti?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
sfarkhan

best algae eater amano vs Caridina babaulti?

Post by sfarkhan »

I just placed an order with msjinkzd for 4 babaulti "green".

The green cardinia are really cool looking per the pictures but I want additional algae eating beasts... (I'm getting two additional otos to the current three).

It's an open top tank - was afraid the amanos will jump to their demise.

Is there a real difference between the Amanos and the babaulti? (aside from 1" vs 2" and the price)
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Re: best algae eater amano vs Caridina babaulti?

Post by sfarkhan »

additional info - the pH hovers at 6.4
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
halak

Post by halak »

Babaulti will breed in freshwater while amanos will not.
Viktor
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

halak wrote:Babaulti will breed in freshwater while amanos will not.
Is that a problem? Will the tank be over run by little green shrimp? That may be a stupid question, but is my first time with inverts :shock:
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
jweis

Post by jweis »

sfarkhan wrote:
Is that a problem? Will the tank be over run by little green shrimp? That may be a stupid question, but is my first time with inverts :shock:
I have Green Babaulti and the GB pictured on Rachel's website is actually from my tank. It is the greenest of the ones I have. Other are a less bright green and some are almost peachy in color. They have bred for me, but slowly. The thing I don't like about the GB is that they completely blend in with the plants. I play "Where's Waldo/GB?" with my kids.

I have Amanos in my rimless 11g and they do not jump. The Amanos do a MUCH better job with the algae. The other dwarf shrimp do eat algae, but I only have them for their looks. The GB and Amanos will not interbreed so you can have both. The Amanos to eat the algae and the GB (or another shrimp for their looks).

I'm attaching a file I put together when deciding what shrimp combos I wanted in my tanks. If you search the aquarium journal section, you can see photos of my tanks and the shrimp.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
halak

Post by halak »

sfarkhan wrote:
Is that a problem? Will the tank be overrun by little green shrimp? That may be a stupid question, but is my first time with inverts :shock:
Oh, yes, it could be a big problem. But, here is the good news. If you end up having baby babaultis, let me know and I will take them off your hands. I might even go to your place and net them out. And there is no charge. Just happy to help a fellow hobbyist. :D :D :D
Viktor
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

halak wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:
Is that a problem? Will the tank be overrun by little green shrimp? That may be a stupid question, but is my first time with inverts :shock:
Oh, yes, it could be a big problem. But, here is the good news. If you end up having baby babaultis, let me know and I will take them off your hands. I might even go to your place and net them out. And there is no charge. Just happy to help a fellow hobbyist. :D :D :D
Haha, great... I'll be the dude coming to meeting with a bag of green shrimp for sale.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

jweis wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:
I have Green Babaulti and the GB pictured on Rachel's website is actually from my tank. It is the greenest of the ones I have. Other are a less bright green and some are almost peachy in color. They have bred for me, but slowly. The thing I don't like about the GB is that they completely blend in with the plants. I play "Where's Waldo/GB?" with my kids.

I have Amanos in my rimless 11g and they do not jump. The Amanos do a MUCH better job with the algae. The other dwarf shrimp do eat algae, but I only have them for their looks. The GB and Amanos will not interbreed so you can have both. The Amanos to eat the algae and the GB (or another shrimp for their looks).

I'm attaching a file I put together when deciding what shrimp combos I wanted in my tanks. If you search the aquarium journal section, you can see photos of my tanks and the shrimp.
Not as good with algae... Hmm - if they aren't going to do a good job with algae, then I should switch to Amanos - Rachel's got them on sale so I can get a few more instead. Rachel said the angels may decide to turn them into live food - at this point, I think it's worth trying since I've never had shrimp.

I picked the green because they are a cool shade when on substate and blend in with the plants while their job subtly. I would do both, but I don't want to overstock the tank.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

jweis wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:
Hi Julie, Thanks for information. I didn't see the file, but I saw green babaulti in your journal - they are literally invisible - It's a wonder why there are any red or other varieties surviving in the wild - they would be fish food. I emailed Rachel to switch them with amanos - I like trying new things - worse case scenario - the angels will love me for giving them $2 live food...
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

I imagine the angels will leave the Amanos alone if they are adult size. The baubaltis, however, not so much. If algae eating is your prime objective then you made a better choice with the Amanos, just like Julie said. Mostly we keep the smaller shrimp for decoration :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.

Sponsors