Spooked Angels = High CO2?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
sfarkhan

Re: Spooked Angels = High CO2?

Post by sfarkhan »

Okay here's an update: I'm not sure it's the CO2 - It may just be that I'm scaring them at this point. The Koi comes out when I am around but is skittish, the other two hide when I walk past the tank. I have been going in to replant things and remove/move stuff around so they may just be afraid I'm in their water?

I'm down to ~1bps - the drop checker is green. The pH/KH calc gives me (6.4 to 2) which is 26ppm CO2 which is below the max.

I'm at a loss - every other fish seems to be happy. The otos look zaftig from the algae :)

I checked the water parameters
pH - 6.4
NH3/4 - 0 free (Seachem test)
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10
Temp - 76

I'm at a loss :/

I may give them up and just stick to small fish.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sns26

Post by sns26 »

When I first planted my big tank, I made plants my priority and I probably gassed some shrimp that way.
Now I realize that the plants will grow. But they take time, and if you watch closely every day you will find yourself fiddling more than is necessary.

So here's what I would do if you like your angels.
1) big water change with double the normal Prime dose. Get rid of any ammonia and nitrates. Don't trust the tests.
2) turn off the CO2. Eliminate that variable.
3) throw in a ton of floaty plants to make them feel less spooked.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

As hard as it is, I think you need to spend less time fiddling with the tank. You're training them to associate you with turning their world upside-down. Grab a beer, pull up a chair, give them some frozen brine shrimp, and just spend a half hour watching them without doing anything else to the tank. You'll both be much happier. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Jim
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

Jim, really good advice - It's one of the reasons I got back into the hobby - I love watching the fish.
I also have to admit, the act of pruning, and tending to the tank is very calming... From what I understand - people who do bonsai say it does the same thing for them.
Lastly - it's almost 3 weeks old, everytime I turn around something is floating or I look at a plant it it whispers, put me in the other corner... :shock: and away I go...

Update: They are all eating - Tank is singing kumbaya, haha...

A little research online at the The Angelfish Forum II (yes, there are people crazier than I :mrgreen: ) and the air breathing isn't unusual - http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/show ... hp?t=16015

They are still a little skittish but now they are back to chasing each other.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)

Sponsors