Getting rid of tiny snails

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
sfarkhan

Re: Getting rid of tiny snails

Post by sfarkhan »

JLW wrote:Quick Cure will not kill snails, but will kill your neons.

You can use copper from the marine section of the aquarium store, which will kill them. HOwever, consider what's happening to your bioload when you have a million dead snails in the tank.

Check out :

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts ... iding.aspx
and
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts ... -wars.aspx
Great reading!
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

jweis wrote:The Assasain snails worked wonders for me.
Do they mulitply like the other snails and then take over the tank? :)
What do you feed them once the other snails are toast?

I feel like this is biowarfare, haha
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
jweis

Post by jweis »

sfarkhan wrote:
jweis wrote:The Assasain snails worked wonders for me.
Do they mulitply like the other snails and then take over the tank? :)
What do you feed them once the other snails are toast?

I feel like this is biowarfare, haha
I haven't had any of my breed and I don't do anything special for them other than they eat scraps of fish food and shrimp wafers. Here is some better info I found online:
Assassin Snail Information
(Anentome Helena)

Assassin snails grow up to be about an inch (2.5 cm). Ideal water conditions for the Assassin snail are a Hardness of 8-15 dGH, a PH of 7.2-8.0 with water temperature in the range of 73-80◦ F (23-27◦ C). Assassin Snails are Black with Yellow Stripes and are sometimes called Bumble Bee Snails.

These snails will eat algae, fish waste, dead plant material (not live Plants)and left over fish food. Sometimes it is necessary to supplement your snails’ diet with algae wafers. You want an algae wafer high in protein and the most common to be used are algae tablets or wafers for bottom feeders.

To allow your snails to grow good healthy shells a calcium supplement is necessary, unless you have a calcium based substrate. To supplement your snails with calcium there are several options. You can buy a small piece of cuttlebone (usually in the bird section of your Local Pet Store), or coral calcium from the health section in Wal-mart or similar store, or buy liquid calcium for Marine tanks.

To reproduce, Assassin Snails need a male and a female. The male will usually climb onto the female’s back and fertilize the eggs. Once the eggs hatch the baby assassin snails will disappear into the sand and won’t be seen for a few months.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

My assassins have multiplied quickly. I wouldn't say that they have taken over the tank yet, but I see the potential. They have not eliminated the other types of snails yet either.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I had the same problem and I was trying to remove them daily with tongs and tweezers but they were winning the battle, and I do have three Sid loaches/Dwarf Chain Loaches that are getting old (5 yrs. plus) but they still eat snails because they killed a Zebra Nerite I bought from Rachael. I still had these little pesty Ramshorn snail so I reduced my feeding dramatically and without food the numbers declined rapidly, I don't like using medications because one leads to another and I didn't want a tank full of Assassins either, so try reducing your feeding by adding food very slowly and the second they loose any interest stop and every third or forth day don't feed at all, it works well.

This was twice daily before the reduced feedings, even the tiny specs are snails
Sincerely,
Tim
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

Assasain's take some time, but within a few months, my tank was void of those pesky snails. I just bought several more for other tanks.
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

My assassin snails have begun breeding and growing, but they are not pesky and they have eaten a lot of the snails I hate.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

The new tank has none :) I saw three over the course of the first two days and I pulled them out and tossed them. None - So if you really wanna get rid of your snails - start a new tank! :D
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)

Sponsors