Ramshorn snails

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
150EH

Ramshorn snails

Post by 150EH »

I know this is an old topic but I picked these little pests up with some plants over the last 2 or 3 months, at first I didn't worry because my Dwarf Chain Loaches had eliminated MTS once before in this tank and I though they would do the same for these snails but the are much older (6 yrs) and have gone into retirement. I have been removing them with tongs and tweezers for the past 2 weeks and I was removing 125 to 200 per day and I am now down to about 25 to 40 a day and the sizes are getting much smaller, but today I removed some that looked like grains of sand off of some floating Riccia and it hit me this may be a loosing battle. It's almost comical with me sitting at my desk pulling out pods of Riccia and removing snails with tweezers, a magnifying glass, and a flash light, I need help!

I guess I'll try lettuce, cabbage, or what ever leafy veg we have in the crisper, can anyone add an idea?
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Re: Ramshorn snails

Post by jweis »

They have gotten bad in my tank too. I just bought some assasins snails to take care of the unwanted snails.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
takadi

Post by takadi »

You pretty much have to load up your tank with assassin snails. It's the only solution that worked for me. I used to have a horrible pondsnail, MTS, and ramshorn problem and now the ramshorns and pondsnails have been completely wiped out and there are just a few rogue MTS roaming around
150EH

Post by 150EH »

But then what do I do with the Assassin snail(s) later, btw I cleaned one of my canisters today and it looked like a snail grow out tank but they weren't getting past the fine media and back into the tank so it may be helping.
Sincerely,
Tim
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

Feed them. Try different things and don't forget protein.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Well thanks for all the good suggestions and I do appreciate it. The count was low this morning with only 7 or 8 in the trash, I know this doesn't mean a whole lot but at least I feel like I'm making a difference and I hope there is not a bloom of new snail next week but there most likely will be some maturing. I really don't want an Assassin snail but we will see, right now I feed the fish 4 different types of food and the scavengers like Oto's, Loaches, and Shrimp clean up the leftovers and if I drop in a piece of Zucchini nobody even touches it and I like not having to feed them separately, but if desperation sets in I will try the Assassin, thank you.
Sincerely,
Tim
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

Sera makes a decent snail trap. I have a few extras if someone would like to borrow them - rent is in snails for my Colomesus assellus puffers!!!
Member of GWAPA, CCA and PVAS plus American Begonia Society and Potomac Branch. Former PVAS President (twice) and Treasurer since 2015. Check out GoWildPeru on the web and FB for Peruvian Rain to Cloud Forest Tropical Fish and 'Plant' collecting trips.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

Mike i will borrow your snailtrap whenever i see you again. i want to take the darn mts out, they are eating my foreground!!! :(
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Is this the one?
Sincerely,
Tim
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Assassins dont touch those tiny ramshorns. They do a great job on bladder/pond snails though.
Jeff U.

Sponsors