Shrimp Trap

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Ben Belton

Shrimp Trap

Post by Ben Belton »

I have too many shrimp. Anyone know how to build some kind of shrimp trap or something?
jweis

Post by jweis »

Yes, I posted this a bit ago:

So, I've always wondered how one retrieves shrimp in a planted tank. They are very fast and trying to get them with a net can disturb the plants. I found this very short video that shows a practical and easy way to capture they little guys.

This DIY project video demonstrates how to make a shrimp trap for a dwarf shrimp tank. Take a transparent plastic bottle, remove the label and cut it below the mouth in a suitable place as shown. Invert the top end and insert it into the lower half. Place some suitable bait at the bottom and submerge it in a small tank. Turn the lights off, if any and leave for a couple of hours. The shrimps get attracted to the smell and are trapped as shown.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make- ... nk-300485/
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

That's excellent. I just recycled some bottles just like that. I'll have to drink more I guess.

I've had spirogyra twice now. Just found it again today. It has happened both times when my shrimp population has spiked up. I need an easier way to keep them under control. I've tried not feeding them so much, but I feel guilty when I find dead females everywhere. I'm guessing they died from malnutrition after laying all the eggs and then having nothing to eat.
jweis

Post by jweis »

I've been told you don't have to turn off the lights and one should be sure to check the trap after a couple of hours because fish can get in there too and then die if they are left in the trap too long. Good luck.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

thanks. I had not thought to use this method to get shrimp out of my tank. I have a 75 community tank which is over flowing with cherry shrimp. I often thin them out before going to a meeting and it was taking longer than I wanted. This should make that task a lot easier.

This is similar to what salt people do to get rid of pest mantis shrimp.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

Ben Belton wrote:I've had spirogyra twice now. Just found it again today. It has happened both times when my shrimp population has spiked up.
Why would a shrimp spike cause algae? I thought they ate it?
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Rick Dotson wrote:thanks. I had not thought to use this method to get shrimp out of my tank. I have a 75 community tank which is over flowing with cherry shrimp. I often thin them out before going to a meeting and it was taking longer than I wanted. This should make that task a lot easier.
This is similar to what salt people do to get rid of pest mantis shrimp.
Man, I wish I had that problem. My Amano are doing great, but the RCS don't live long for me!
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I can hook folks up with some Goo Obo gudgeons if you have too many shrimp. They love shrimp! (smack, smack) :mrgreen:

Thanks to Kris for the pic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55011269@N00/2488098648/

Cheers.
Jim
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

One word: Apistogramma!
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

They are live food for the fish in my 75. If I don't feed the fish the shrimp population drops.

That is a nice looking fish.

Sponsors