Praziquantel

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Cory

Post by Cory »

I'm curioius to know if anyone has a source that sells prazi for less than $5.00 per gram. I'm looking for small quantities, ~5-15 grams.

Cory
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

What are prazi?
Archie

Post by Archie »

Praziquantel is a de-wormer, and is prescribed for flukes as well. Schistosoma are a parasite that requires this medication. Cory are you treating or are you preventing? can you get this without a prescription?
Cory

Post by Cory »

I got it from a guy named barry illman. He is a vet in west virginia, Cary Strong got me in touch with him. My discus were settling in and I wasn't quite as clean-I hadn't learned how much mess the fish could make. I had 3 or 4 of my discus scratching their gills on sword plants. The treatment is ~1tsp per 20 gallons. It immediately brightened my fish up and they moved in front of the filter.

I use it for any scratching I see, and very red gills. Some discus people have seen fry die off from the treatment, but otherwise it works like a charm. My experience with it is excellent.   I put some in the water if I suspect anything is irritating gills. Might be a bad diagnosis from time to time but I don't like to pay for new fish.

Most vets are completely willing to grant a prescription if you show you know what you are talking about. They get their little exotic handbook and look up to verify is all. I got 10 grams 2 years ago, right during the time the anthrax scares were going on. White slimey powder in a envelope, just imagine what could have happened.

Cory

Sponsors