Suggestions for a Elementary School Fishtank (Large)

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Suggestions for a Elementary School Fishtank (Large)

Post by FishNChips »

Greetings.

I am helping a friend update and improve a elementary school fish tank (see attached image). It is pretty massive. I was thinking of trying to get some plants in the tank and perhaps a wider variety of fish. Not sure of the water parameters yet.

Does anyone currently have the GWAPA PAR meter, so I can borrow and see how much light it is getting to the bottom?

Any suggestions regarding how to improve the tank, particularly plants and fish.

Ultimately, its supposed to be educational, so any thoughts on improving this aspect as well are most welcome.

Thanks
Paul
Attachments
PBES_FishTank.jpg
GOT MTS?

Re: Suggestions for a Elementary School Fishtank (Large)

Post by GOT MTS? »

Hi Paul, I currently have the par meter and will be done with it this week, though Jen Williams asked to use it next.

Have you thought about using native fish and plants? There are a lot of really cool natives in Virginia and Maryland. I have some extra juvenile satin fin shiners a well as some val and ludwigia repens, I could give you.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

I've got plenty of hornwort and anacharis available.
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

I do wonder what the par will be at the bottom of the tank. I guess I would have to pull all those large rocks and get a substrate. I could, however, make the substrate pretty deep and layered. I would prefer to get larger fish for the tank, something that can be seen by the kids. I am less wedded to the replication of native plants/fish as I am not sure how much that matters for the age group. Further thoughts and donations welcome.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

I can donate 1/2 dozen+ Amatitlania Myrnae already about 2"-3"
Also have plenty of Ludwigia repens, Anacharis and horn wort available

or if you really want the kids to see the fish i have some bright orange comets @ about 4"-5" available.

Sponsors